Stripping Tamiya Color

Well, I've been able to avoid Murphy for the past few months but a couple of days ago my luck ran out and old Murphy and his law paid me a visit. I screwed up a couple of fenders and now I need to strip them down to the plastic to redo them. I used Tamiya spray lacquer and, while I know there are a few ways to go about this, has anyone had experience stripping Tamiya lacquer specifically? If so, any special recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Once armed with the right info, I can return to the scene of the crime. Thanks.

Mike

Reply to
MGlantzMN

I've stripped Tamiya spray paints by soaking in brake fluid for a few days - that's how long it took!

Ian

Reply to
IanDTurner

If you're talking about the Tamiya TS series, I used acetone based nail polish remover and it worked fine. I sprayed some Gloss Black that I didn't like, tried to polish it out, still didn't like it, by that time, it was 2 weeks old or so. Tried nail polish remover and worked on the test areas, all it did was flatten the plastic a littel bit, but a quick buff with a soft cloth brought the shine back up.

I didn't soak the kit, what I did was dampen a paper towel in nail polish remover, hold it on the paint for 5 seconds or so, then start wiping, keep turning the towel to a clean area and keep wiping.

Ken

---------------- Ken Lilly snipped-for-privacy@technologist.NOSPAM.com

*remove NOSPAM to reply* When diplomacy fails, send in the B-52's
Reply to
Ken

I always start stripping TS paints with methylated spirits - that will shift most of the colours. Failing that, try brake fluid or oven cleaner. Good luck!

RobG (the Aussie one)

specifically?

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

Denatured alcohol will strip it without damaging the plastic.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I tried oven cleaner, brake fluid, Castrol super clean, and Wesley's bleech white all with out anything happening except some lossened paint at the edges. Will have to give the acetone suggestion a try.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Hiett

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 03:45:53 -0600, Al Superczynski doth put forth:

I'll second that, it was the only thing that I got to work. It is otherwise known as isopropanol, found at your local drug store.

Reply to
Derek Lloyd

in article Vs=LP2zgSbNVp4cJXP46sZxd+ snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Derek Lloyd at snipped-for-privacy@interlog.com wrote on 12/1/03 5:34 PM:

Hmmm. My container of Denatured Alcohol says the Alky contains Methanol. (denaturing agent). Does Ispropanol contain methanol?

Anyway, I use it to strip paints and it usually works better than Isopropyl.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell