OT General question about fuel pump canisters - and how they fill w/ fuel

Another off topic question - but you all are like those one or two adult neighbors that I had when I was a teenager and they knew the answer or whom to ask. I have seen several fuel pump canisters (fuel minjection) where the pump sits in the canister, in the fuel tank, and draws fuel from the canister. This article has a couple of images of the type of fuel pump canister that I am refering to. I understand that the one of the functions of the canister is to prevent fuel starvation when the the fuel level is lower and the fuel is sloshing around. I know that one is not supposed to allow the tank to get below 1/4 to keep the pump submerged in the fuel.

My question is: how does the fuel get into the canister when the fuel level is down to the last 1/4 to 1/3 of a tank, since the canisters frequently do not have any opening in either the bottom or sides.

Thanks

Reply to
aribert neumann