Estes stick on decals and clear coats

My son has one of the Estes models that have stick on decals. We tried to clear coat the thing with Krylon clear coat and the decals started to peel off! Has anyone else had similar experiences. Is there another clear coat that is compatible with Krylon paints (since the model is already painted)? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike Nycz

Reply to
Michael Nycz

I use Painter's Touch Clear over stick-on decals with no ill effects. Just be careful to apply it in thin coats... especially the first coat... it likes to run. I wet sand between coats with 1000 grit paper. Besides giving a smooth and touch finish, the clear coat seals the decals.

I don't know how the Painter's Touch will react with the Krylon underneath. I'd think you'd be OK, but test first. It also is probably a good idea to allow the Krylon to dry for two or three days before the clear coat.

Good luck.

...Fred

Reply to
Fred Taverni