Steve

"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done." Theodore Roosevelt 1891

Check your car Steve, I think that it is doing the same thing.

On 2008-05-12, SteveB <toquerville> wrote:

No, Ig. When I stand in front of my car, the air is being sucked in, not blown out. There is no wind in front of my car. It goes INTO the engine compartment through the radiator first. This exhausts through the radiator. If a car pushed air in front of it, the forward travel of the car would cause the cooling effect to be cancelled at some point. Think about it.

Steve

On 2008-05-12, SteveB <toquerville> wrote:

Yes. You are right. I have a stomach bug and am not thinking well at all. Sorry. I just used up my one "dumb answer of the month" coupon.

Don't sweat it, Iggy - you can use mine.

I've got a large stockpile of them. <evil grin>

--

I used to be an anarchist but had to give it up: _far_ too many rules.

SteveB wrote:

A lot of industrial engines and heavy equipment engines are set up this way to keep the hot air off the engine and the operator station. You would have to install a different fan than the "pusher" fan to change this.

Russ

For a fan type air mover, unless the tolerances between the fan blade and the shroud are very tight (think jet engine cross section), the blowing air toward the radiator moves more air through it than sucking.

SteveB wrote:

Probably the reason they don't do this in a car is that the car is usually moving in a way that would "fight" the push-type radiator fan.

Grant

Grant Erwin wrote:

And if you look at new cars with electric fans they usually put them on the front of the engine, or in a shroud, or both.

Note that most cars don't need to have a fan running when they're under way -- it's only when the car is stopped that the fan is necessary to keep the air moving.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

On Sun, 11 May 2008 22:56:42 -0800, "SteveB"

Most Caterpillar equipment has fans rigged to blow out the front. If you are in a car helling down the highway you want the air to come in the front and go out the back, but when you are just sitting there it doesn't make any difference.

Bruce-in-Bangkok (correct Address is bpaige125atgmaildotcom)

On Mon, 12 May 2008 22:52:55 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok

The fan doesnt perform any additional cooling of engine bits and components in a "in from the fan and over the engine" configuration?

Gunner

Did a VW or a Corvair have a fan?

I thought not. <G>

IIRC, the Corvair had an enclosed fan with a belt that was early serpentine in nature. It ran in both vertical and horizontal directions. You could see the fan through a hole in the top of the engine. VeeDubs, no.

Steve

What did that VW fan do keep the driver cool?

http://members.aol.com/darryld/40-hp-vw.gif Steve

Oh, yeah. Now I remember the VW fan inside that cover in the back of the engine. A fan on an air cooled engine. Sounds like overkill to me, but those VW engines ran and ran and ran. You could soup them up pretty good, too.

Steve

Except the #4 cylinder (IIRC) that heated enough to burn the exhaust valve frequently.

Air cooled engines won't cool without air.

On Sun, 18 May 2008 19:00:01 -0700, Bob F wrote:

It's #3 that burns out sometimes. The Ign is retarded slightly on this cylinder to improve matters.

Front of car

3 1 4 2 Back of car

My daily hack's a '75 Bug. My Van ('78 Bay window) is now powered by Subaru :D

I stand corrected. It's been many years.

'Sfunny - I don't remember either a belt or a fan on my '65 'Vair.

IIRC, The 160 HP turbocharged Corsas had one but not either the 85 hp (like mine) or the 140hp.

A friend of mine had a Corsa. Maybe that's why I recall a belt on there. Am I right, though, that you could see vanes through a round hole on the top of the engine? And I thought the Corsa was 180 hp. Will Google now that I have to double check some dead brain cells. That was a long time ago ................

Steve