Fan - Suck or Blow?

Threaded View
I noticed something about my SA 200 that I found a little odd.  The fan
blows air through the radiator rather than pulling it through and blowing it
over the engine.  That's counter to (I think) every engine I've seen.  Maybe
I just didn't notice on some of the big pumps and stuff.  I was going to use
the side table to do some welding, and thought the blow from the fan would
be a problem.  Then I fired it up and found out it blows the air the other
direction.

When I rebuilt this, I didn't take the fan off, nor any of the pulleys.  So
this is the way it came or someone else before me changed it.  Everything
seems to run fine, just seems a little odd.

Steve

"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere
critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly,
not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done."
Theodore Roosevelt 1891

Re: Fan - Suck or Blow?
Check your car Steve, I think that it is doing the same thing.

Re: Fan - Suck or Blow?

No, Ig.  When I stand in front of my car, the air is being sucked in, not
blown out.  There is no wind in front of my car.  It goes INTO the engine
compartment through the radiator first.  This exhausts through the radiator.
If a car pushed air in front of it, the forward travel of the car would
cause the cooling effect to be cancelled at some point.  Think about it.

Steve

Re: Fan - Suck or Blow?

Yes. You are right. I have a stomach bug and am not thinking well at
all. Sorry. I just used up my one "dumb answer of the month" coupon.

Re: Fan - Suck or Blow?
dnbejlYSqwLXVnZ2dnUVZ_vninZ2d@giganews.com:

Don't sweat it, Iggy - you can use mine.

I've got a large stockpile of them. <evil grin>

--

I used to be an anarchist but had to give it up: _far_ too many rules.

Re: Fan - Suck or Blow?

A lot of industrial engines and heavy equipment engines are set up this
way to keep the hot air off the engine and the operator station.
You would have to install a different fan than the "pusher" fan to
change this.

Russ

Re: Fan - Suck or Blow?
For a fan type air mover, unless the tolerances between the fan blade
and the shroud are very tight (think jet engine cross section), the
blowing air toward the radiator moves more air through it than sucking.

Re: Fan - Suck or Blow?
Probably the reason they don't do this in a car is that the car is usually
moving in a way that would "fight" the push-type radiator fan.

Grant

Re: Fan - Suck or Blow?

And if you look at new cars with electric fans they usually put them on
the front of the engine, or in a shroud, or both.

Note that most cars don't need to have a fan running when they're under
way -- it's only when the car is stopped that the fan is necessary to
keep the air moving.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Most Caterpillar equipment has fans rigged to blow out the front. If
you are in a car helling down the highway you want the air to come in
the front and go out the back, but when you are just sitting there it
doesn't make any difference.

Bruce-in-Bangkok

Re: Fan - Suck or Blow?
On Mon, 12 May 2008 22:52:55 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok

The fan doesnt perform any additional cooling of engine bits and
components in a "in from the fan and over the engine" configuration?

Gunner

Re: Fan - Suck or Blow?

Did a VW or a Corvair have a fan?

I thought not. <G>

Re: Fan - Suck or Blow?

IIRC, the Corvair had an enclosed fan with a belt that was early serpentine
in nature.  It ran in both vertical and horizontal directions.  You could
see the fan through a hole in the top of the engine.  VeeDubs, no.

Steve

Re: Fan - Suck or Blow?

What did that VW fan do keep the driver cool?
http://members.aol.com/darryld/40-hp-vw.gif
Steve

Re: Fan - Suck or Blow?

Oh, yeah.  Now I remember the VW fan inside that cover in the back of the
engine.  A fan on an air cooled engine.  Sounds like overkill to me, but
those VW engines ran and ran and ran.  You could soup them up pretty good,
too.

Steve

Re: Fan - Suck or Blow?

Except the #4 cylinder (IIRC) that heated enough to burn the exhaust valve
frequently.

Air cooled engines won't cool without air.

Re: Fan - Suck or Blow?

It's #3 that burns out sometimes. The Ign is retarded slightly on this
cylinder to improve matters.

Front of car

3 1
4 2
Back of car

My daily hack's a '75 Bug. My Van ('78 Bay window) is now powered by Subaru
:D

Re: Fan - Suck or Blow?

I stand corrected. It's been many years.

Re: Fan - Suck or Blow?

'Sfunny - I don't remember either a belt or a fan on my '65 'Vair.

IIRC, The 160 HP turbocharged Corsas had one but not either the 85 hp (like
mine) or the 140hp.

Re: Fan - Suck or Blow?

A friend of mine had a Corsa.  Maybe that's why I recall a belt on there.
Am I right, though, that you could see vanes through a round hole on the top
of the engine?  And I thought the Corsa was 180 hp.  Will Google now that I
have to double check some dead brain cells.  That was a long time ago

Steve

Site Timeline