RV Antifreeze for TIG torch cooling

So, now I have a homemade tig torch cooler.

I would like to use some antifreeze in it so that it does not freeze in winter. I googled this newsgroup and found that people use pink RV antifreeze.

I want to double check that it is a safe idea.

thanks

Ignoramus12686

Grant Erwin

My color vision sucks... I now think that it is actually purple, not pink.

Ignoramus12686

And look much better against the blue of the welder! He may have to change the color of the hoses though...

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I believe that the stuff sold as welding cooler antifreeze is pure ethylene glycol. It's possible that the automotive/RV antifreeze additives could cause problems in the torch.

Cheers,

Kelley

Reply to
Kelley Mascher

That's exactly correct, Miller's antifreeze is ethylene glycol + deionized water. I just read its msds.

As far as Iknow, RVantfifreeze has very little to do with automotie antifreeze.

Ignoramus12686

The anti-freeze that Miller sells for use in TIG torches is de-ionized water and glycol and an anti-fungal.. The result is low conductivity is minimize theeffects of HF to keep deposits out of the torch passages.

JAMW

Reply to
John Miller

Use alcohol, that way you can have a cocktale whenever you take a brake.

Reply to
Diamond Jim

Well, seriously, I was thinking about using windshield wiper fluid. Which is, I think, alcohol.

Ignoramus12686

"MES" wrote in message news:n6zaf.8945$ snipped-for-privacy@fe04.lga... | Dont use alcohol, The last thing you want is anything flamable getting in | your work area due to a leak.

I don't think he means straight happy juice. Just enough to bring down the freezing point of the water. I don't think it would take more than 5% or less, with occasional replacement due to evaporation. I don't know if bugs or slime is likely to take hold and grow in any mix of alcohol other than a couple relatives of mine. FYI, you can make your own cold packs by taking a bottle of isopropyl alcohol (about 70% already) and mixing it in a 1:3 ratio with water in a 1 gallon freezer bag. Put in the freezer and it turns into a slush which is great for those pains we all get as we get older. Since my freezer is about 25 degrees or something and the resultant alcohol mix is about 18% to get a freezing point of 25 degrees, a mix of about 25% (iso anyway) should keep the freezing point way down there, and since the percentage is so low flammability will be a non issue. Since I can light 70% iso in my hand (with some effort) and barely feel the heat, you can imagine what it would take to light and sustain a 25% isopropyl mix. If I got my math wrong, please feel free to straighten me out!

Reply to
carl mciver