Wiring for Lincoln AC 225 Welder

Threaded View
Any help is appreciated.

I have a 50 amp breaker.  I have #6 AWG wire with 3 conductors and a
ground wire.  The welder has 2 black wires and a green wire.  The
sheething on the welder's wire says 'green conductor for ground only'.
The plug I have has 3 flat blades and says 'for non-grounded use
only'.

I'm confused.  Do I wire up the breaker with 2 hots, a neutral, and a
ground and wire the receptacle with 2 hots and the ground?  I was
originally figuring I would use the 2 hots and a neutral from the
breaker to the receptacle.

What am I missing here?
--
As Iron Sharpens Iron,
So One Man Sharpens Another.

Re: Wiring for Lincoln AC 225 Welder

You have the wrong plug / receptacle. A 240V welder doesn't use a
neutral connection. You need a 240V 50A grounded plug / receptacle.

Re: Wiring for Lincoln AC 225 Welder

Crap.  Thanks for the information, though.  I was afraid of that.

But, I can still use my same wire, right?  I just don't use the third
conductor, only the two hots and the ground?
--
As Iron Sharpens Iron,
So One Man Sharpens Another.
Proverbs 27:17

Re: Wiring for Lincoln AC 225 Welder
See my other post. The wire you have is great, the proper receptacle and
plug should run about $15 total at Home Despot.

Re: Wiring for Lincoln AC 225 Welder
Your confusion results from three different 'standards' over the years.
The earliest 240 wiring had two hots and a neutral (red/black/white).
Later welders (70's??) were 240 only and had two hots and a ground
(red/black/green). The most modern code calls for 2 hots (red/black),
ground (green), and neutral (white) if NEEDED.

Your cable is suitable for the latest code which calls for a 4 conductor
receptacle and plug with 3 blades parallel to each other and a round or
'D' shaped pin for ground. I'd recommend heading off to Home Despot or
similar and getting a matched set.

I *think* it is still code legal to use the 2 blade and 'D' shaped pin
setup (maybe Bruce Bergman will weigh in here) which lacks a neutral.
And yo will still find a lot of older installations with the angle
blades which is not approved.

Hope that helps.

Re: Wiring for Lincoln AC 225 Welder

Thanks.  It does...sort of.  I am puzzled then with what I do with the
wires from the welder to the plug.  If the plug has '3 blades parallel
to each other and a 'D' shaped pin for ground', how does that get
wired to the welder properly since the welder wires (on which there is
no plug) are only 2 hots and a ground?

Sorry for being a pain.  I'm just trying to understand so I'm armed
with as much knowledge as possible before heading off to the store ...
again.  I want to come back with the right stuff and be welding
tomorrow night.  :)
--
As Iron Sharpens Iron,
So One Man Sharpens Another.
Proverbs 27:17

Re: Wiring for Lincoln AC 225 Welder

Never mind.  I think I've got it.

I need this:
http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?sitex=10021:22372:US&item=110506

And this:
http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?sitex=10021:22372:US&item=5541

Thanks again, everyone for all the help!

--
As Iron Sharpens Iron,
So One Man Sharpens Another.
Proverbs 27:17

Re: Wiring for Lincoln AC 225 Welder
That pair will work but you will have a left over white wire on the
receptacle end.

take a look at www.mcmaster.com  page 759 for a good chart of your options.

The 10-50 is the oldest style with the blades at an angle.
You are looking at a 6-50 which is 240 volts but NO NEUTRAL. Your welder
probably does not need one but why go with something that is not more
universal (think new toys!)
Take a look at the 14-50 style receptacle with all 4 terminals wired up
(Black/Red/White/Green).  Your welder cord probably only has 3 wires
(Black/Red/Green) so use the mating 14-50 plug with nothing hooked up to
the white wire terminal.

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?sitex=10021:22372:US&item=110506
http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?sitex=10021:22372:US&item=5541

Re: Wiring for Lincoln AC 225 Welder

How many conductors are in the welder's cord?  Three or four?

Re: Wiring for Lincoln AC 225 Welder
Four: 3 blacks and 1 ground.

Re: Wiring for Lincoln AC 225 Welder

Hey everyone.  I just wanted to let you know that I finally got my
chores done for the weekend late last night (fixing horse fencing,
fixing gates, taking down a tree, delivering the wood to
father-in-law, etc.) and I installed the receptacle and plug for the
welder.

It came out great and was very simple.  I'll tell you something,
though.  That #6 wire is NOT the most flexible stuff on the planet!
:)

Anyway, I fired up the welder and gave it a test run with some 6013 I
was given with the welder.  It ran great, but I was suprised at how
shallow the penetration was with AC.  Oh well.  It'll do for now.  :)
Almost time to get more goodies now that I have the power sorted out.

Thanks to all that offered help and advice.  It is appreciated.

rvb

--
As Iron Sharpens Iron,
So One Man Sharpens Another.