10mm basswood or hard balsa

Who sells 10mm basswood or hard balsa sticks for use as GWS electric motor mounts? Sure, one can use 3/8" square sticks and shims, but I'd rather have the right size. I've looked at Balsa USA and Lone Star, but no luck. Are there any sources here in the USA?

Reply to
Geoff Sanders

You try Tower Hobbies? I just did a search on Basswood and it pulled up sticks, sheets and blocks. Standard sizes though, so a mm search won't pull.

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

try

Comes in 10cm lengths.

Reply to
Gerrit

Many thanks, Gerrit! Their site won't come up right now, so I'll try later.

Reply to
Geoff Sanders

Sorry, got over zealous with my .au. Try without the .au. Should have more luck.

Reply to
Gerrit

Just try the following link:

Sorry for the runaround.

Regards. Gerrit

Reply to
Gerrit

If you have a WOODCRAFT store near you, they may have what you need in basswood. I was in one of their Chicago area stores yesterday and saw a very nice selection of basswood strips, sheets, and square "rods". Don't know if they had 10mm, however.

Harlan

Reply to
H Davis

-- Ledbette

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Ledbetter's Profile:

this thread:

Ledbetter

The last place you would find anything metric in the US is a woodcraft store. Wish people would switch to Metric besides the auto, aviation, and tool industries. I don't know why the average joe wants to hang onto that clunky English system.

Reply to
Sport Pilot

Sport Pilot:

The reason is pretty basic: familiarity. The average Joe relates to the clunky English system because he's been using it for years (and year and years and years).

Harlan

">> >

Reply to
H Davis

Otherwise, how would we know how tall we were, for example

-- Ledbette

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Ledbetter's Profile:

this thread:

Ledbetter

True. Logic has nothing to do with it. The metric system is much easier, but most of us who were brought up thinking in feet and inches aren't able to think in a decimal way.

For nearly all my working life I've been a mechanic, first with European cars, and now with small engines. I think metrically, so it's automatic when someone asks me for a dimension or setting, I'll give it to them in metrics. The usual response is, "What's that in standard?" Standard? Uhhh, the world has used the metric standard for over a century, and it's rare to find major US manufacturers building to the inch system nowadays, but, as has been said, Joe average doesn't think that way. Perhaps that's one good result of all those ARFs coming from Eastern Europe and China: With all that metric hardware, we'll learn metrics in spite of ourselves! :-)

Now, as regards those 10mm sticks, thanks to you two who found some for me!

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Sanders

BS, Average joe doesn't know much about the system past 12 inches per foot, 36 inches per yard, 3 feet per yard, how many quarts per gallon, a few just might know how many feet per mile or ounces per quart. Few know how many ounces per gallon. I can never remember how many sq feet per Acre, or how many pounds per gallon. With metric its easy, just multiply or devide in multiples of ten. Someone needs to step up to the plate and legislate the English system out of existance. Before NASA confuses their systems again!

Reply to
Sport Pilot

Uhhh, the world has used the metric standard for over a century, and it's rare to find major US manufacturers building to the inch system

Car manufactures now design newer designs in metric, but mods to some older engines will be American Standard. My car has metric head bolts, and other internal bolts, but most external bolts are American Standard. Every now and then you get suprised and find a metric where you don't expect it. I just found out that the thermostat is American Standard, but the bolt that tightens the battery clamp is metric! Sheesh.

Reply to
Sport Pilot

going strictly from memory, there are 128 ounces per gallon US

160 ounces per gallon UK there are 43560 sq feet / acre 640 acres per sq mile approximately 8 pounds of water per gallon, and pretty close to 8 gallons per cubic foot there are 5280 feet per mile or 63360 inches per mile

the square root 0f 2 is roughly 1.414 the square root of 3 is roughly 1.732 pi is approximately 1.4142654 or 22/7

we got no megas millis kilos, everything rates it's own name, it's really not any harder than learning to add or subtract or multiply numbers, AND as an added benefit, your brain doesn't get all flabby from dealing only with 10 and multiples of 10

not to say anything about NOT NEEDING yet another law restricting what types of measurement people are allowed to use

average Joe here

Reply to
Bob Cowell

and the common units or measurement in metric are SO much more logical than in English measure, just consider how much more useful the following comparison of rate measurements are in metric. in English measure, we commonly use feet / minute in metric the PREFERRED rate measurement is meters / second.

consider how much easier it is to relate to 0.26924 meters per second than it is to understand 53 feet per minute

Reply to
Bob Cowell

-------------

I first encountered the metric system in the Sixties while learning electronics. I have been a convert ever since.

Do you suppose that the too making industry lobbyists have been super successful at dragging out our conversion (US) to metric so long? After all, they stand to sell the mechanically inclined two full tool sets as things are today?

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

That's a good point. Inches and feet were standardized to represent commonly used distances. Leave it to the French to decide that the standard unit of measure should be based on the circumference of the earth, which has great spiritual meaning to the human race but is utterly meaningless in everyday life. Look under the hood of a Peugeot if you want to see some more great French engineering.

The reason why the English measuring system has been so slow to be eradicated is because it makes a lot of practical sense. It satisfies human nature to divide and multiply things by 2, which is something the metric system doesn't do.

As long as we're talking about doing things in a practical way, I think we should pass a law eradicating decimal numbering in general, and replace it with base 8. We can call it the "octimal system". This system would satisfy the desire to have measurements based on multiples of 10 (which would be the next number after 7), as well as the innate human need to multiply and divide by 2. OK, I'm being sarcastic, because I know this would never happen, but it's actually a very good idea. Sometimes I wish that people had been a little bit smarter and started with 8 in the first place. It makes a lot of sense. More people would be good at math.

And while we're at it, let's get rid of the Gregorian calendar and start a new calendar in the new century. We'll call it the Reynoldsian calendar. There are 13 months with 28 days each. Every month begins on a Sunday and ends on a Saturday. Therefore, you don't have to ask what day of the week the 23rd is, it's always a Monday no matter what year or month this is. There would be one day left over to make a complete 365 day year, and it wouldn't be a day of any month or week. It would be New Year's Day. You would go from Saturday, December 28th to New Year's Day, to Sunday, January first. Every four years you would have Leap Day in between June and Robuary. (If Julius and Augustus can name months after themselves, I can, too, because I invented a better calendar.) Now If I could just beat some sense into people's heads and get laws passed to outlaw stupidity, we would all have better lives.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

Actually. I got out of the mechanic business when they started shoving metrification down our throats.

With something approximating the price of a factory fresh T-Bird wrapped up in tools already, I was REAL reluctant to start duplicating a portion of my tools just to satisfy some pencil-pushing politician ;-)

and, I just noticed that I fat fingered a 1 where a 3 should have been for the value of pi any self respecting redneck would know that pi are round, cornbread are square.

Reply to
Bob Cowell

The message from "H Davis" contains these words:

I live in the UK and grew up with the Imperial measure but the UK adopted the metric system around 1970, must admit it is easier and a little more accurate but as I am usually working from plans that may be as much as 300 years old of sailing vessels I have to use both. The problems start with contemporary plans from Spain, France or Scandinavia as they had their own forms of measurement so I have to convert from their system to Imperial then relate that to the metric system because all materials bought from suppliers or shops is in metric form so things tend to get a bit complicated at times,

regards, Terry

Reply to
Terence Lynock (MSW)