AAMCO Lou Andrews kits...

When I first started flying in the 70's, the Andrews H-Ray was my club's trainer of choice.

I just picked up one on eBay, and I'm thinking of redesigning it for electric(mainly lightening it, and making it a taildragger, ailerons optional).

Does anyone know who, if anyone owns the rights to the AAMCO line? I'd like to make the plans available if and when I get it done.

Thanks, PCPhill

Reply to
PCPhill

Just do your redesign and call it the E-Ray. They were a fine flying model. Take out a lot of the dihedral if you are going to add ailerons, and check the incidence, set it nearly 0 - 0. I don't recall what it was on the original, but if it is like a lot of planes of that era it had way to much for today's power and weights.

Red Scholefield VRCS 951 snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Great Planes has the rights.

Reply to
Tom Minger

Thanks Red, I'd thought of that, but want to keep it legal if possible. I've had a software copyright lifted from me in the past.( or at least the royalties, paltry though they'ed have been) I built several back then, including ailerons with no dihedral. I don't remember the incidence, but hopefully I'll have the kit in hand soon.

PCPhill

----- Original Message ----- From: "Red Scholefield" Newsgroups: rec.models.rc.air Sent: Monday, April 09, 2007 8:33 PM Subject: Re: AAMCO Lou Andrews kits...

Reply to
PCPhill

I was hoping for a smaller company... I'll do it for my own amusement then, but a couple of emails won't hurt.

PCPhill

Reply to
PCPhill

You can modify any kit without any problems. You simply cannot copy it and produce it for sale.

Reply to
Jim Slaughter

Yep... I remember that Don Anderson (GP Model Manufacturing) bought out Lew Andrews... I think that GP kitted the A-Ray for a while.

Randy Model Airplane Engineering

R.J. Roman

If it flys well I wanted to make the plans available, probably free on the web. I'd need permission to do that. No plans for selling anything, at least at this point.

PCPhill

Reply to
PCPhill

Thanks for the verification Randy. Are you doing SEFF this year?

PCPHILL

Reply to
PCPhill

If you do a good job with it, maybe Great Planes would produce it and pay you for the design. They have to pay somebody for everything they do.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

I think they have, sometimes under different names than Andrews used, kitted all of his designs. The Sportster and the Aeromaster are direct decendants, and I think several of the Tower/Great Planes trainers had Andrews bloodlines.

Reply to
Tom Minger

Hi Phill - Yes... planning on being at SEFF... mostly on the flight line rather than the vendor area. I'll have stuff to sell, but will be in "passive" mode :-)

Randy Model Airplane Engineering

R.J. Roman

I have two Lou Andrews aeromasters that fly great need to sell them. They have O.S. 65 2 cycle engines, all servos, and J.R. receivers. Will need your transmitter. Engines have less then three hours run time and are like new.

Will take $200 for each one plus the cost of shipping. I'm located in Norman, Ok. you can call me at 405-701-3575 I also have other models available. But to many to list?? many accessories etc, etc.

Reply to
Frank A. Eddy