Building the AMA SUT- Final Chapter

Part 11

First flight. All I can say is WOW. With two 46 Magnums this thing leaps into the air and the flight was scary due to aileron chatter that appeared when the engines revved up. We didn't notice it on the ground but the airplane did not behave well at all once it got airborne. It was extremely sensitive to control input and I had a heck of a time keeping it level let alone in trim. It went high and it went low, it would loop with the smallest input. Eventually we cut the throttles way back and she settled down. The control throws that they recommend are much too much for an initial flight with the power I have. Set your low rates down around 60-70% on the elevator and just a bit higher on ailerons for the initial flights. Also, 40's would be my choice if I had two that matched. This is a really hot bird with 46's even if it is a pseudo-trainer. I solved the aileron chatter by replacing both servos and doing a thorough balancing of the props (Master Screw 11x6). That's it for me, happy flying everyone!

Reply to
Ted

Great to hear that your first flight was fine. Congrats! Not surprised that it jumped off the ground. If I'd been there, I'd have told you not to hold a bunch of "up" when you started the takeoff roll. Lots of power!!

Congrats again, and thanks for the build thread.

CR

Reply to
Charles & Peggy Robinson