Carcinigens in glue

The post concerning carciginens in fuel was very informative, but I have heard quite a lot abuot the harmful effects of epoxy and Zap adhesives. Do you think there is any validation to this or will the Ostriches rule again??

Reply to
Donduk

Oh no! not again!

Chris

P.S. also a homage to Douglas Adams there.

Reply to
Chris Dugan

If you don't eat or sniff you should be OK.

Reply to
Sport Pilot

I haven't heard about carcinogens with glue.

I have heard from sources I consider reliable that anyone can develop an allergy to epoxy, given sufficient exposure.

I love epoxy and don't want to become allergic to it. It's such good stuff! So I now use vinyl gloves when doing extensive epoxying.

I'm also wary of the polyurethane glues. I read a Material Data Safety Sheet on them once and thought it might be wise to limit exposure to them, too.

My record of keeping my hands clean isn't perfect, but it is much improved from my old habit of spreading the glues with bare fingers, then washing my hands with acetone.

YMMV.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Donduk Apr 19, 11:09 am show options

Newsgroups: rec.models.rc.air From: " Donduk" - Find messages by this author Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 14:09:32 -0400 Local: Tues,Apr 19 2005 11:09 am Subject: Carcinigens in glue Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse

The post concerning carciginens in fuel was very informative, but I have heard quite a lot abuot the harmful effects of epoxy and Zap adhesives. Do you think there is any validation to this or will the Ostriches rule again??

Why not just do a Google for "epoxy msds"? And do one for "cyanoacrylate glue msds" while you're at it. You'll find many hits, AND the answer to your questions. The ZAP web site might even have it there.

I'm not an ostrich, but I'm not a Henny Penny, either.

Next...

Dr.1

Reply to
Dr1

From you prior posts, you seem reasonable.

Reply to
balleyhoo

It is just like any other chemical. Enough exposure by a sensitive person can cause problems. Why mention ZAP by brand name? Are they somehow different from any other brand?

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Sorry- I only ment the cyro type glues not any brand in particular - I hope I don't get sued.

Reply to
Donduk

It has been scientifically proven that if you drink 1/2 gallon of Za

(thin) every day for 23.785 years, you will develop some rare form o cancer......My testing on thick Zap is still being tested....

Jerr

-- tailskid

Been modeling since '49 - which makes me an Old Fart

----------------------------------------------------------------------- tailskid2's Profile:

this thread:

tailskid2

Chemists will tell you that there are no dangerous chemicals, only dangerous amounts. There have been extensive posts on RCGROUPS about breathing and eyesight problems associated with CA glue, I can't use it myself because it kick-starts my asthma but as far as a carciginen, who knows. No studies (I'm guessing) have been done.

Reply to
Tony Van

It seems to be well acknowledged that many of the chemicals used in the RC hobby, and many other hobbies, can be dangerous; especially with long term exposure. There are warnings on bottles of epoxy and CA regarding exposure. Even wood glue has safety warnings.

Each of us has to decide for himself/herself if the hobby is worth the risk.

Reply to
Carrell

Oh get over it! If you're afraid of the glue, don't use it!

Reply to
Jim Slaughter

View this thread:
I would think just one half gallon would cause death from the heat, or at least from severe constipation!

Reply to
Sport Pilot

Keep a low speed fan blowing across your work area and if possible vent it out of doors preferably not near an entrance or window.

Reply to
jim breeyear

Yeah Ostrich, kill the messenger.

Reply to
balleyhoo

| There are warnings on bottles of epoxy and CA regarding exposure.

Indeed.

And people shouldn't forget that CA glue is even used medically to close wounds. The urban legend is that this is what it was designed for, but that's not quite the truth. For more --

Still, medically used or not, it's nasty stuff to inhale. I haven't developed any unusual sensitivity to it, but I don't want to, so I do what I can to limit my exposure.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Hi

My doctor once told me that superglue is used to glue replacement hip joints in place. He added that it is the identical glue sold over the counter in DIY shops and for model use. The ONLY difference is that glue intended for medical use is manufactured under strict sterile conditions.

Regards KGB

Reply to
KGB

I believe it is also the oderless type of CA.

Reply to
Sport Pilot

pcoopy

Usually after a building session with CA, I like to make a couple of marinis and subsititute acitone for the vermouth and that seems to get most of it out of my system. Phil AMA609

Sport Pilot wrote:

pcoopy