Civility

There have been several (extended) threads recently that have degenerated into postings we older RC'ers might attribute to teenagers exercising their right of free speech soley to irritate/shock their seniors. Copious name-calling, unwarranted personnal attacks and, drival that has nothing to do polite discourse whatsoever seems almost the norm in many threads. Criticism is valid if followed by "constructive recommendations" but I rarely see that in many of the postings I can only describe as diatribe.

This was once a fairly constructive forum but has lost much of its usefulness as flamers seem to abound. How are we helping the community?

As I have seen before, I have put on my flame-retardent suit and await the conflagration.

Steve Barnett Arnold, MD

Reply to
SBarn18665

This is an unfortunate happening. I have recently just been ignoring those threads. It is the easiest thing to do.

Reply to
Vance

When I first into R/C a few years ago, I learned a lot from this newsgroup, since it was a major source of info at that time. Now you would have to rely on a Google search of the past to get this info, because a huge chunk of what goes on here now is of little value admittedly. There are still some gems to be found, but they are becomming fewer and farther in between. Plus it might just be me but traffic here has gone down a lot, perhaps as a result of all the bickering, which is exactly what happened to one or two very popular online forums as well. Go over to

and see what has become of THAT place. Sad.

Reply to
Frank Costa

Nevermind, it seems Flightlines finally imploded some time back. I guess the trashcan was finally emptied, lol.

Reply to
Frank Costa

I don't know what you're talking about. All my messages are on-topic.

-- Paul McIntosh

"SBarn18665" posted message news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m05.aol.com

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I'm sure you do, Prudence. Post on-topic or take a hike.

Texas Pete

Reply to
Pete Kerezman

Well, this is exactly why SO MANY people have taken a hike. No matter how well you justify extreme rudeness (he was off topic, he desevered it, waaaah!), rudeness and bluntness drive poeple away, far away, and also unfortuneatly makes the case for moderators. It's no wonder the lions share of useful discourse takes place on RCU and RCG.

Reply to
Frank Costa

ROFL!

...............even tho it whizzed right over the heads of some humor impaired folks.

Abel

Reply to
Abel Pranger

This has happened (long ago and continuing) with the model rockets group -

90% drivel, politics, posturing.

I'm new here - I hope it's not another rmr....

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry O'Sullivan

I totally agree with you. I learned a lot about RC from this group. If a thread isn't related to RC, or one that does turns into a name-calling match, stop reading it.

Morris

Reply to
Morris Lee

;-)

Texas Pete

Reply to
Pete Kerezman

What gets my goat is that you'll find that most of the repliers to these stupid threads are r/c er's in this group. Political crap that don't belong here would die and go away but it seems people (a lot of em') are itching to reply which keeps the thread going and at the top.

I would be curious as to why fellow rc er's in this group feel like they have to keep a totally off topic going. Natrual Philosipher is one...Somewhere out in left field.

Why?

Reply to
TX_QBALL

Ah, this newsgroup USED to be one of (if not THE) best source o

information - sad to see what it has turned into....:(

Jerr

-- tailskid

Been modeling since '49 - which makes me an Old Fart

----------------------------------------------------------------------- tailskid2's Profile:

this thread:

tailskid2

Hi Old Fart!

Best regards,

Reply to
Herb Winston

Steve, you have just contributed to the very thing you are lamenting about by posting a totally NON R/C topic. Are you going to be surprised when THIS thread that you started degenerates into the same kind of garbage you describe? We all have the INDIVIDUAL power to ignore or to contribute to what you describe. In this case, I have personally decided to contribute to the non R/C crap you just started. Most of the time, I ignore it unless I'm in a crappy "mood" which happens when I read a posted message that CREATED the VERY SAME THING about which the poster is complaining.

Regards, MJC

Reply to
MJC

Actually not. The site owner shut it down in an attempt to sell the domain name for a rediculous sum. The spirit of Flightlines lives on in a new forum.

Reply to
E Riehle

yep. as a source of information, this forum has limited usefulness. as a source of entertainment, it can be very useful. the mistake a lot of the regular participants makes is deluding themselves into believing that there are vast numbers of modelers who care what they have to say. one of the biggest problems is the number of modelers who themselves have limited experience, suddenly becoming experts by virtue of the internet. my favorite thread is fuel foaming - great entertainment, not an ounce of useful information, but great entertainment!

Reply to
PaulBK58

Then you must be one of the know-it-alls. I've been flying R/C over 20 years, and I've learned a lot from this group.

I offer that same number of years of experience to a novice, and if you don't believe that's a lot, try me. I'm not a book-learned expert, but possibly having "been there, done that" DOES make me one.

who >care what they have to say Whenever someone asks a question, I DO believe they care what I and other respondants have to say, else they would have not asked the question. Many NG posters have written me and thanked me for the advice, and/or told me how well it worked. Others have written follow-up questions that allowed me to tell them how to avoid a mistake I might have made at their level, or to improve on what they're doing.

Many posters were very knowlegable long before they ever got on the Net, it didn't make them instant experts, it just allowed them to easily propogate their wisdom knowledge.

Funny, I found several good suggestions on how much does it REALLY affect the engine, and how to stop it from happening.

If you find this NG so useless, why are you here? Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

I would agree with that. I also like the vast number of postings concerning JB weld as the epoxy equivalent of duct tape when repairs are involved. That and the famous " If you don't like it leave" variations that follow disagreements also adds to the entertainment value of this forum.

Reply to
Dersu u

Reply to
Arne