Discovery Channel Program, How High Can You Fly? Tonight

Typically 8 years old is starting the period where they have the hand/eye coordination problem somewhat solved. However, it is variable depending on the child.

For a plane try an LT40 with an OS LA40. Great starter combo.

Dan Thompson (AMA 32873, EAA 60974, WB4GUK, GROL) remove POST in address for email

Reply to
Dan Thompson

Try to play a game agains any kid of age 7 and up and see who lacks hand/eye cordination...

My kid started to fly RC when he was 10, and soloed after the third flight, after the 5th flight he was able to fly the trainer inverted in eights over the field, and that is a clark-y winged trainer....

Sure he had full elvator down, and he lost altitude for each lap, but noone else has manged it so far.

He started to borrow more exciting (expencieve too) planes from other club members after that, and his second plane was a Cap 232. He only ditched one plane (the cap) and that was due to a bad reciever.

Reply to
GuW

| "w4jle" writes: | | > Doesn't a Cuban eight require the ability to rotate about it's | > longitudinal axis, a requirement the slow stick does not meet.?.. | | It's fully possible -- it just takes a bit more effort, that's all. | People looped and rolled RC aircraft back when they were rudder | only... As for the Cuban Eight, I'd think that when you bring a Slow | Stick out of the top of a loop on its back, you barely have to touch | the rudder to get it to roll right side up. :-)

Yes, you can do rolls with just a rudder -- it's not even that hard if you have a good sized rudder.

Also, Slow Sticks have optional ailerons if I remember correctly.

Reply to
Doug McLaren