Electric Pattern Planes

Ed,

I am also looking at the electric scene. I think that right now, a .32 size plane is about optimum for performance electrics without going overboard on cost. I am designing one with some unique design features. Shoule be very light. I am also testing some batteries I got from a supplier overseas.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Yep. 5 series and 5 parallel.

Most packs safely charge at 1C. Some can tolerate 2C. That means you will spend a little over one hour for a complete charge at 1C and a little over

1/2 hour at 2C. At least this is my experience with my Multiplex charger. It charges at the set current until the battery is about 90% charged then the current drops off quite a bit to top it off.
Reply to
Paul McIntosh

.32 is a nice size Paul.

About 350 watts - say 35A and 10v or so, 3s2p of 2200 cells or so.

Axi 2820/10...12x6...

Should lift a 2-3lb plane straight up.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Paul , I know you addressed Ed but I would like to say that it would be expensive , but not quite in the multi thousands. Pattern flyers are using electric more and more and getting long flight times without a leg and arm investment. I'm not sure why you would need 2100 watts for 15 minutes since no one flys the whole pattern at full throttle. We're talking a15 lb airplane when we get into that much wattage.

Here's an approximate estimate of what it would cost ...mind you , I said approximate since I'm certainly no authority on electric models.

1 Motor and speed control approx 400.00 4 Thunder Power 5s4p 6,400 ma packs @339.00 1356.00 Misc connectors adapters etc 50.00

Wire these in a 10s8p configuration and you will get 37 volts and

12,800 ma. 37 volts @ 55 amps will give you approx 2035 watts. This will equate to about 14 minutes of flight time at full throttle.

Actually you won't need this much battery but I'm just trying to get at your figure of 2100 watts for 15 minutes. I don't know how to figure what percentage of throttle to use in pattern flying , but someone here probably does.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ken Day

Reply to
Ken Day

The handwriting is on the wall. It won't be too many more months/years before electric power dominates pattern. It is kind of sad in a way. It will mark the end of an era. Then again, I see the same thing coming for automobiles/trucks/vans.

Once the price of batteries drops to about a 1/5th of current prices, glow flying will be strictly for the sake of nostalgia.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

As rubber and diesels largely are today.

I think glo will be around for some time frankly - especailly in the larger models.

BUT electric ultimately will be the mainstream of the hobby, yes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Lately, I have wondered if electric has already superceded glow and other forms of propulsion, in terms of unit sales.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

It did come out to around $2000. I came up with 2100 watts as that is about

3HP which is about the same output as current YS pattern 4 strokes. I gave 15 minutes as an average WAG considering that you need to take off, trim, get into the pattern, fly the pattern and then get around for a landing. It may not be 15 minutes but you also don't want to run out of "fuel" with one of those.
Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Paul You're right. 1800.00 is very close to that , but I think we could probaby get by with almost half the price on batteries since we don't need the 2100 watts for the duration of the 15 min flight. Also , when you said multi thousands I suppose I was thinking beyond 2000.00 :-) My apologies.

I don't have Electricalc but with my poor math (sometimes very poor) I think about 600.00 could be taken off that price.1200.00 wouldn't be real bad considering the price of fuel , not having to clean the airplane , and , the covering looks better and holds much better. .Of course , if glassed then the one wouldn't have to worry about the covering. Also consider the peace of mind knowing you will have no finicky starts , no flame-outs , consistant power with no lag on throttle. Pulling out of a hover with a well powered electric is quite an experience if you've never been there. Instant acceleration...so smooth and quite. Don't get me wrong , I love the YS and other quality engines , but electric has some great qualities.

Just for curiosity , I'm going to try to find out exactly how much battery power would be needed. Many guys are flying electric pattern in that size now.

Thanks

Ken

Reply to
Ken Day

Paul. Forgot to mention this. With the cut off to the motor at the right voltage , even after the motor shuts off you can 'coast' a bit and then you will have a short burst of power again to make it in case you come up short or need a burst of power to bring the nose up right before touchdown. It's not much , but there is a little left.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Day

If you take the firebird things into account, probably the answer is yes.

Whhether those should be taken into account, is a moot point...;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

To Everyone that replied to my question

Thanks for your help. You all gave me information that has helped in my quest. I haven't decided on a plane yet but I am well on my way.

Happy Flying, Billy V

Reply to
Billy V

Dave

I am very much interested in what Colin Campbell has done with his Enigma. I would love to do the same. Can you put me intouch with Colin? My Email is snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net just remove the" xxx".

Thank you

Bill Vergé

Reply to
Billy V

Will do Bill..

I have copied this thread to him tonight!

The Best..

Dave

Reply to
Dave