electronic throttle failure

I'm running a JETI ESC with a Futaba receiver and a 3 cell LiPo battery on a brushless motor. I can move the throttle forward to about 80% and the engine suddenly quits. Moving the throttle back to zero and running it up it works again up to 80% and quits again. I can't find any reference to this kind of failure anywhere. I just replaced the battery. Any ideas? Thanks!

Reply to
jma

ATV on the Tx not set to 100% on the forward end??

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

"jma" wrote in news:1138413095.344924.160750 @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Two possibilities - first, you're hitting the ESC's current limit, if it has one, and it's cutting power to protect itself. Second - and probably more likely - as you move the throttle forward, the current increases and the voltage drops, so you may be hitting the low-voltage cutoff. I had one ESC doing that when I was using a 2 cell pack and the ESC was expecting a 3 cell pack, so it didn't take much of a voltage drop to go below the 3 cell LVC.

What size pack, what motor, what ESC?

Reply to
Mark Miller

If the ATV is set to 100%, it sounds like the motor is pulling more amps than the controller can handle.

If this is what is happening, the ESC is shutting down to protect itself from burnout.

Try a higher capacity ESC and see whether your problem continues. I think your problem will disappear with a higher rated ESC.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

...Than the PACK can handle. Its hitting LVC.

Probably a Kokam pack. Real capability=66% of claimed ability.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Which would pull more amps? Higher RPM, less pitch or lower RPM, more pitch on the prop?

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

I am running a JEIT PHASOR 15/3 BRUSHLESS MOTOR and a JETI ADVANCE PLUS 30 AMP CONTROLLER

3 cell LiPo, I think it is a Kokam, brand new battery. The motor and controller are sold as a set from hobby-lobby so I would assume it's the right size contoller for the application. They call for a 7" prop and I have to use 6.5 " in this application. I don't see how prop size/RPM would make it cut out suddenly but it's the only thing not in spec.

John

Reply to
jma

Reply to