Filler for dinged foamy

Crashed my Ultrafly SU27 into a bush and knocked a few chunks out of the wing LE. Any ideas what the best filler would be (if any) for this polystyrene foam wing?

Reply to
wrote8

1) Cut it out square(ish) and glue in a new piece with foam-safe CA. 2) Use lightweight spackling to fill, then sand.
Reply to
Joe Ellis

unless your in the UK where most people wont even of heard of spackling??????

Reply to
funfly3

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 21:17:10 GMT, funfly3 wrote in :

"Spackling" is the process of filling holes in a surface before painting it.

We have a very nice selection nowadays of such fillers, ranging from a fairly heavy plaster for filling seams in drywall (masonry board, backer-board, gypsum board) to some featherweight, fluffy white stuff that dries in no time and is easy to sand away.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

What do they use to patch holes in walls in the UK then? Spackle is a plaster type water based goop that you can buy pre-mixed or in power form. Add water, mix to a thick batter depending on how thick you want it, spread it into the cracks or holes in the wall using a spatula or trowel. Sandable when dry. Sold in most hardware stores. There is also modeling based type that comes premixed and is balsa colored. I forget who makes it. In the US it comes in a plastic screwtopped container about half a pint in size.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Lightweight spackling is the same stuff that Woodland Scenics (who make model railroading scenery stuff) sells as "foam putty". It's acrylic based (so you can thin with water) and dries to a hard, lightweight material that can easily be sanded.

You can buy it in containers ranging from 4 oz to 1 gallon.

Joe Ellis

Probable the same thing just a different brand / company name. Main one in the UK is called Polyfilla

Reply to
Gavin

I put a strip of packing tape on my leading edges, including one with a small bite taken out of it. Smoother to the airflow, no more dings.

Reply to
hmz6

Great filler ideas!!

I put a strip of packing tape on my leading edges, including one with a

small bite taken out of it. Smoother to the airflow, no more dings.

1 oz. of prevention.................
Reply to
hmz6

Toothpaste. Haven't you ever lived in a flat?

Reply to
Abel Pranger

No, but I have had to change a few... ;-Þ

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Thanks for the replies guys. I was in the local hardware shop yesterday and an assistant was restocking the adhesives stand and by a strange coincidence she was hanging up packs of "Evo-Stick Fast Foam" - cost £4.70. The pack (a double syringe blister pack similar to Araldite) advertises "hard in 60 seconds" (I can just about remember those days!) "solvent free", "dries grey", "can be sanded" etc. etc. It's a one shot system which expands to 500ml of foam. Just the job for my dinged wing I thought so I bought a pack. Tried it out last night - what a laugh - once you start squirting the mixture you can't stop otherwise it cures in the special mixer nozzle - so there was foam everywhere. However it did the trick even if it was mostly wasted and I was able to sand it to shape no bother. I've taken hmz6's advise and covered the LEs with packing tape.

cheers

Reply to
wrote8