Gee Bee pitch problem

Anyone flying a Byron GeeBee? Mine is very pitch sensitive to throttle. At full it climbs and at low it dives. This makes for some interesting flying lol! It's got the specified right and down thrust and the CG is as per the plans. The instructions do note the problem but don't give any solution to fix it. Any ideas? Here's a picture from the High Country Fliers Big Bird event.

Now I better get to work on fixing the left wing. Lets just say my first landing trimmed a little bit of the threshold grass!

Thanks Shaun

Reply to
Shaun Bell

Well, that's not ENTIRELY accurate, I have tried many times to explain to bumblebees that they can't fly, but they never listen.

Reply to
Bob Cowell

The CG needs to be moved BACK a bit. With a forward CG, the elevator/stabilizer has more work to do to hold the nose up, so it has a higher angle of attack (downward) to do it. The prop slipstream will cause exaggerated pitch changes with forward CG. You want SOME of that pitch-up-with-power business so that the airplane has static stability. It's a legal requirement in full-scale, and makes scale flying much safer.

Nope. That's long been an argument in the flight training world. The current thinking is "Attitude + Power = Performance." So to go up, raise the nose and add power. To come down, lower the nose and reduce it. To go slow, raise the nose and reduce power. To go fast, lower it and add power. You seldom change one control setting without changing all the others. There's another saying, a bit more fun: "To go up, pull back. To come down, pull back more..."

Dan

Reply to
Dan Thomas

Recent discoveries indicate that the bee doesn't generate lift in the same way birds and airplanes do. There's an intense spanwise vortex across the top of their wings which creates much lower pressure than Bernoulli's effect. This phenomenon has been noted in several spectacular accidents involving canard airplanes like the VariEze or Velocity, where the pilot manages to get the airplane into an unrecoverable, stable deep stall where the airplane will not drop its nose and resume flying, no matter what the pilot does, and sinks at something like 700-1000 feet per minute (about 8-12 MPH, as slow as a parachute descent) until it hits the ground and the pilot walks away. Studies seem to indicate the same spanwise vortex involved in producing so much lift at very low speeds, and I believe that we'll one day see some revolutionary flying machines based on it.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Thomas

You think if I stall the GeeBee I could lank it the same way LOL? Doing a harrier with a R2, now that would be quite a bellyflop!

Shaun Bell

Reply to
Shaun Bell

Nevermind...found it.

Reply to
Pat Patterson

| Nevermind...found it.

So what did you find? I found this --

but it seems to suggest that the incredibly slow (< 1000 ft/minute) descents didn't actually happen, or were never accurately measured (suggesting that they didn't happen.)

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Sure leaves a lot of questions unanswered. However, the fact that a couple of guys survived deep-stall crashes is fascinating. Ordinary airplanes would ill you for sure. As I understood from another source, the fella that died in the inverted crash was the same one that crashed earlier in the water. I can't recall the source.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Thomas