Heli Tragedy location item.

In several messages around various forums and message distribution systems, there seems to be a trend to blame the Clubs with some failure to report their positions of activity to emergency unit response systems.

The recent Heli accident happened at Harris County, TX, Tom Bass Park, a unit of the Harris County Parks system.

There is no viable excuse for any emergency unit not being able to find it immediately and pinpointing exact location within 5 minutes of enroute time. Don't panic / blame either AMA or any Club, as the fault may well be not any of theirs.

One would have to be very, very naive if a resident of Harris County, and/or Houston, TX and that one failed to comprehend the response system here. (In the past 14 months I have undergone the change from a Rural Route-to-911- Road-number address. My property was out in outer space for at least nine months. Actually, most key maps still show me some 10 miles north.)

However the above is inserted simply as just a funny sideline since, IMO, Harris County probably makes the Daily empire in Cook County, IL, look amateurish. I spent 17 years in Cook County and have now been in Harris for 18 years. I do have a reference.

Horrace Cain

Reply to
CainHD

Horace,

you also have to wonder if maybe there are still bugs in the new emergency response system that was recently implemented locally. Delayed response was one of there biggest problems.

Reply to
Ted

Why dont you wait untill you get the facts, you are just going on what was rumored to have happened. People are blaming the rescue before they really know what happened.

Reply to
Courseyauto

I disagree with the shirking of responsibility Horrace implies. In this particular case it probably would have made little difference, but the problem remains.

I think all clubs should have an emergency action plan that includes instructions for the correct emergency service agency to have dispatched and how they are to get to the flying site. Simple GPS coordinates do not tell the driver which road to turn on but an educated club member can. The other part of that is the local club MUST make sure they KNOW which agency is responsible for their emergency needs. Kind of hard to do that from somewhere else in the country, don't you think. Also difficult to do if the research has not been done in advance.

Yes, I do hold the local clubs responsible for this action since THEY acquired and run the site. Actually since the locals have the references to address and correct the problem, it is very difficult to assign the responsibility to anyone else. The small minded might think that the "authorities" (a la AMA) should be responsible, but that is clearly wrong. It is also wrong to blow off poor response time on broken EMS systems when the local club members have the patch available with a little prior research. Accidents happen, so educate yourself and your club members as to who is supposed to respond and how they should get there (clearly marked visual clues or mileages).

My club took that action several years ago when we had a spectator threatening folks with a gun. Seems our field was right next to the line between the city and the county and the 911 folks didn't know what to do. Now we all know who is supposed to respond and we have a clear set of driving instructions available for both of our fields.

Jim Branaum AMA 1428

Six_O'clock_High Target snipped-for-privacy@Guns.comJim Branaum

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

I can understand if the EMS unit couldn't find a field located on private propery, but this was a PUBLIC PARK!

Ed

Ca>In several messages around various forums and message distribution systems,

Reply to
Ed Smega

Or as here "Six_O'Clock High" or should that be "High at Six o' ClocK?" Whatever??

I disagree with the shirking of responsibility Horrace implies.

Yes, I do hold the local clubs responsible for this action since THEY acquired and run the site.

Reply to
CainHD

Mr. Cain,

I very strongly suggest you get a handle on your personal attacks as they do not speak well of you.

Jim Branaum AMA 1428

Six_O'clock_High Target snipped-for-privacy@Guns.com

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Somehow I find that even more scary, for completely different reasons..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I fail to understand why being a public park makes a differance. I don't think the map was that clear. Was the club in Tom Bass park #1,

2, or 3? The map didn't even show park #3.
Reply to
Sport_Pilot

Not well Six but they do speak quite accurately of him! Quite accurately!

Reply to
C.O.Jones