Help! What Was It? - I Can't Remember

I built my first R/C airplane from a kit in 1965 or 1966. It was a high-wing cabin model, approx 36" wingspan, approx 4.5" to 5" chord, wire LG, Wen-Mac 049 power, Controlaire 5 regen receiver, rudder-only on a small escapement (not Bonner), with a Mule transmitter for 'control'.

Flew great, but only once, ending with a figure 9. I like to think my frantic button pushing had some effect on the flightpath, but I'll never be certain.

Anyway, I'd like to build another for me and my grandson, but this time with much improved equipment and skills. Even though I have many larger and more sophisticated airplanes, recreating the original will bring me "full circle".

Problem is, I can't remember what the model was. I was thinking it was a deBolt (DMECO) something or other, but I can't be sure. I don't recall if Pappy had anything in kit form that size at that time. I'm pretty certain it was not a Sterling or Berkley. Any ideas?

DougSter

Reply to
DougSter

It sounds like it could have been the DeBolt Champ Jr. but then that was not kitted until 1970 or so. You have a real puzzle here if your dates are right.

Still have the kit NIB given to me by one of the greatest little men that ever lived, Myron X. Cary of the MOB (Modelers of Binghamton).

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Red, The timeframe is correct. I flew the model in the fall of 1966. That was the last real fun I had for a while, since I went into the service in Feb 67. The kit was purchased at an LHS in Modesto, CA. As I recall, they were heavily stocked in Scientific, Sterling, and Goldberg, with some others less well represented.

I looked at some of the Vintage RC Society photos, but the old memory cells can't make a 100% ID. I may have to retract my "no Sterling" exclusion. The Minnie Mambo seems more familiar than the LIve Wire Champ, plus the dates don't work for the LW, as you made note.

Are there any other models of that period that you can recall that might be right?

Doug

Reply to
DougSter

Some others that come to mind are the Mid West Esquire and Trisquire, both quite popular. Also a lesser known one, the Spirit - all fit your description and time frame.

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Cancel that, these would all have been larger than 36". I think there may have been a small version of the Triquire.

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

When I first started flying R/C, the Midwest "Squire" kits and the deBolt "Jenny" were the defacto trainer planes.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

It might be the Rudder Bird, that was made in that time frame

-- bob3

----------------------------------------------------------------------- bob36's Profile:

this thread:

bob36
36 Inches? A DeBolt kit???? Maybe it was the Kitten...I had one with a cox .049..single channel and it flew quite well.... I think there is a replica kit still available...I forget the source, but it is on the internet...if you can't find it, email me directly and I will give you the source. snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net Regards to all, Frank Schwartz

Reply to
Frank Schwartz

Thanks to all who replied.

After looking at many photos and drawings available on the Internet, I 've come to the following conclusions:

  1. I'll never really know for SURE.
  2. The Minnie Mambo and the Lil Esquire looked the most familiar. The DeBolt Kitten was similar to my recollection, but way more "old timey" than I recall.
  3. It was great fun looking at some of the old models, many of which I desired in my youth.

I've decided to go with a Minnie Mambo or Mambo built from plans (ordered yesterday). In any case, it will still be a hoot!

Thanks again, gents.

Reply to
DougSter