Can't remember the combination to my briefcase

can someone help me I cant remember the combination to my briefcase. Any ideas on how to get it open without grinding off the rivets and popping off the lock?

Heritage leather briefcase

3 numbers combination

Thank Steve

Reply to
Paul Smith

For an amateur, the easiest solution is just to sit down in front of the TV and mindlessly try all the combos in succession. Three numbers is only a thousand possible combinations. At one a second that's about 17 minutes. Even if you take a break, you should have it open before the end of As The Stomach Turns.

A pro can probably get it open more quickly, but since it's your own briefcase -- and since you could take the time to ask us -- presumably you're in no rush.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

or not telling the truth

Reply to
JOCK tec

like Joes answer...

Reply to
Key

rivets and popping

refer to the FAQ

  1. Will people on this newsgroup give me information about picking locks, etc.?
    then Joes answer news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de...

g'luck

Reply to
Key

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 05:38:08 GMT "'Key" used 32 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.locksmithing

Telling someone to try all possible combinations is not telling them how to defeat a lock! Presumably anyone with enough intelligence to fire up a news reader and post a message to Usenet has enough cognitive skills to have thought of that.

There are 10,000 combinations for a four digit user code on a keypad lock. Try them all. OMG! I let out the B-I-G secret...

Then Joe's answer what?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Evidently you were overestimating the amount of intelligence needed to be a newsgroup subscriber... ;-)

Reply to
davewallen

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 08:59:00 GMT "davewallen" used 23 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.locksmithing

Or underestimating the amount of intelligence needed to try all the combinations! :~)

Reply to
G. Morgan

Always possible. If so... well, if he wants to risk being caught hunched over that briefcase for however long it takes, that's his problem.

Briefcase/luggage locks aren't significantly secure locks anyway -- they're mild tamper deterrents, and their main purpose is to keep the case from popping open and spilling all its contents when you accidentally drop it. If you want to protect something, put it in a better box, preferably one that's anchored in place rather than having a handle to make it easy to run off with.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

You're forgetting the Endless September effect... and the past evidence of would-be burglars who think we're naive enough to help them.

In this case, my judgement was that simply pointing out that the choice was slow, dumb, and cheap, or fast but a couple bucks more for professional assistance, on an inherently low-security container, was essentially harmless. YMMV.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

Thanks for your suggestion..........I tried it........sit in front of the tube, watched the Dallas/Miami game and went through all 1000's....stupid thing still wouldn't open, I guess the lock is jam or something....no biggie, I'll take it to work and grind the tops off the rivets.

Thanks again and guys, I'm was just trying to open my old briefcase that's been in the closet for a couple years. I'm not wanting to take up picking briefcase locks for a hobby or a living.

Reply to
Paul Smith

alt.locksmithing

about