Help with low end idle setup

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I hava a norvel .25 and have set the low end needle valve as follows.

let engine idle for 45 sec or so and run throtle up quickly. Motor was spiting fuel (high end was set about 2 to 300 rpm bellow max) so leaned out a 1/4 turn at a time. I did this till I got a great transition form low to high. after starting motor can hold plane up and motor doesn't sag at full throtle.

heres the odd part. the low end needle is almost closed, as in 1/8 to 1/16 open. instructions call for 1 1/2 to 2 turns open. anyone have any thoughts?

max

Reply to
Rev Maximillion

Yeah. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. From what you've described, the engine runs perfectly. What happens when you set the low end needle per the instructions?

To quote an idol of mine, "What...me worry?"

Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

I am sure the 1 1/2 - 2 turns refers to the high end needle valve setting starting point, or may be a misprint. If it runs fine at 1/8 - 1/16, then that is where I would leave it at and ignore the instructions... my 2c

Reply to
mrx

Use what you have since it has already been proven to work. My Norvel 25 is about the same.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Did not care much for Alfred himself, but loved the spy-vs-spy page!

David

Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH

Sounds like my OS 61 SF. Idles somewhat well with the low end completely closed. Still scratching my head. Later

Reply to
TX_QBALL

if an engine runs with everything closed it is getting air from somewhere. since that ought to be a bit of a saftey concern, best thing is to find out where the leak is coming from and fix it. first thing is make sure that the barrel is closing all the way, and you can test that by putting your finger over the carb when the engine is idling. if it dies, that's a pretty good indicator that the carb is not closing or properly seated.

Reply to
PaulBK58