Looking to sell extensive collection of vintage models and related items

Hello,

My father has been collecting model airplanes and related items since he was a child, and has an extensive collection that includes unopened model kits, kits that have been opened but not built, some built items, rolled plans, odds & ends, etc. that span the timeframe from the late

1920's to around the year 2000. The collection includes pristine editions of many model airplane magazines that also cover the same timeframe. He gave it to me some time ago, and it fills (and overflows) a two-car garage. I just don't have room, and would very much like to sell it. (Dad's fine with that.) Anyone interested, or know of other avenues I might try? He has kept a fairly accurate inventory of what he has, so I can provide that information to interested parties if desired.

Any reasonable and helpful response will be appreciated. Thank you!

Reply to
Summer Storms

Ebay the lot.

Some will be disappointing what they fetch. Others will surprise you at how much...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Anyone interested, or know of other

Try posting some sort of list here and see what the folks hit on....

Steve

Reply to
Steve

The easiest way would be to hold an auction or massive garage sale (be prepared for people to stand around with their hands in their pockets and expecting to get items for pennies on the dollar.) Make sure that it's held in the early fall and every club in the area is informed. You'll probably make more money from the coffee service.

Alternative would be to put items up for sale on eBay (same warning....)

I'm going to assume that you're in the US or Canada. In which case, I would contact the appropriate AMA vice-president or MAAC zone director and donate the whole item to the respective organization in return for a tax receipt. If not, they would certaily help you to organize an auction or garage sale.

I'd pick out a couple items that have special meaning for you and your Dad, and let the rest go.

Reply to
byrocat

| The easiest way would be to hold an auction or massive garage sale (be | prepared for people to stand around with their hands in their pockets | and expecting to get items for pennies on the dollar.)

Things are worth only what people will pay for them. In many cases, people will only pay pennies on the dollar.

| Make sure that it's held in the early fall

Of course, this is only an option if it's early fall now, or you want to hang onto this stuff for a while. Ultimately, I doubt the time of year matters much.

| and every club in the area is informed.

Absolutely.

| You'll probably make more money from the coffee service.

No way, unless he has junk. The local glow club has had auctions for the R/C parts of their late member's estates, and generally each one brings in several thousand dollars. (Granted, it's been estates with like 10+ planes, lots of radios, kits, etc ...)

| Alternative would be to put items up for sale on eBay (same | warning....)

Ebay will probably get you the most money for anything that's easy to ship. New in box kits go for a lot on Ebay -- often for more than they cost new if they're something old and not available now. But if he's started the kit, the value goes way down.

Completed airplanes are much harder to sell on Ebay, unless they're something special. Damaged airplanes rarely go for much of anything.

Just having a normal garage sale will get you the least amount of money.

There are advertisements in the back of the AMA magazine about people who will buy entire R/C estates. I'm guessing they'll only pay pennies on the dollar and will then resell on Ebay and such, but if you just want it gone and not thrown in the trash that might be the best option. | I'm going to assume that you're in the US or Canada. In which case, I | would contact the appropriate AMA vice-president or MAAC zone director | and donate the whole item to the respective organization in return for | a tax receipt.

Does the AMA really take large donations of R/C gear like this?

| If not, they would certaily help you to organize an auction or | garage sale.

I don't know if the AMA would, but the local clubs might, especially if he was an active member of the club.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

On 03 Aug 2007 14:27:53 GMT, "Doug McLaren" wrote in :

I helped put prices on a friend's estate for his widow.

I generally started at half price for things that were new in the box and worked my way down from there.

It was heartbreaking to know the difference between what Doug spent on stuff and what people were willing to pay, but that's life. Everything sold pretty quickly and his wife seemed to be happy with the outcome.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ