billy b and other old kit builders

just got the old airfix he-111 h-20 kit and it looks like that with some carefull work, a little scratching and better decals, you can build a half decent kit. are there any mojor problems or glaring errors that need modding?reccomend a paint scheme or decal sheet? some of the schemes in the profile booklet look interesting. i'm guess bill b has built at least one. would love a pic or description. any nibbles? thanks,

-e

I LOVE OLD KITS!

I think this comes from: A) Not having a lot of money to buy model kits as a kid in the '60s & '70s B) Being only interested in jets as a kid

As a result of (B), I missed getting a lot of WW I & WW II type aircraft that I've now developed an interest in.

Collecting old (OK ANCIENT!) kits has really been a great way of dealing with my mid-life crisis ;^) I recently acquired an original

1/72 Revell Ju-88 released in 1967. This kit was in pristine condition! Not one part was off of the trees and it even had the order slip for the Revell phonograph record "The Night Raiders"! Then it hit me that one of the things that makes collection old kits so fun is that I can literally relive a great experience from my childhood again. Opening an old kit is like opening a time capsule and experiencing the same feelings that I would have if I'd opened it back in 1967. Maybe I'm too nostalgic, but I find models (both old and new) give me just as much pleasure now as when I built my first kit way back in the mid-60s.

Martin

Reply to
centennialofflight

I recently got very nostalgic when building a model Spitfire. When I was eight, my Grandad noticed that I never painted my "Airfixes", I just threw 'em together and played with them. He therefore gave me a Revell 1/72 Spitfire MkII and all the relevant Humbrol paints and insisted that I paint it. This was the first kit that I ever finished properly and I got a great kick out of doing so. The kit decals provided the markings for Douglas Bader's MkII.

Recently I completed a Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire MkI as Bader's aircraft, using the Victory Production decals and an Ultracast spinner and prop. As I applied the decals I felt that I had been transported back in time thirty-six years. I get a lot of enjoyment from my modelling, but somehow that latest Spitfire MkII gave me a lot more joy due to the sense of nostalgia it engendered.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I built a couple of Monogram 1/32 F3F's back in the 60's. A while back I got a couple of more, and am slowly pecking away at one.

When the AM F3F's came out, it really brought back memories !

AM

Reply to
AM

FWIW I have heard that Mike West at Lonestar Models is working on a resin cockpit set for the Monogram F3F kit. If he includes suggestions for correcting the wings it should be a real worth while buy.

Bill Shuey

AM wrote:

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Me too. I often start a "new" kit, then put it away and start and finish an "old" kit. I put too much pressure on myself when building a new one. But the old one? No worries. I just finished a funky old Monogram F7F with markings I cobbled together from the spares box. It looks great! I love old kits and Ebay!

Reply to
dancho

yes, exactly.

by the way, it's nice to know i'm not the only nostalgia freak out there. i decided to mod a lindberg d0 335 with the motors from a ju88 kit. amd remake a dio i did in 1970. it's part of the autobahn with a mech wrenching on the engines of a 335. it was kind of cool while not 100% accurate. i was going to put it under a wrecked bridge span, but that wasn't what i did originally.

If you would like to add a pilot in the cockpit I have a few of the IPMS Golden Gate USN WWII Seated Pilot figures left. They were produced in cast metal to 1/32 scale by Terry Worster, one of the best figure modelers ever.

The price is $6 with $5 going into the IPMS Golden Gate treasury. The chapter has been in limbo for a couple of years, but we're starting up again in January.

E-mail me for address, etc.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

IIRC the only real problems with the Airfix He 111H-20 were the cockpit transparencies. They were too swolen looking and presented a step where they attached to the fuselage.

Suitable rubbing down and repolishing should solve that problem and can be done along with all of the rivets. All of the edge pieces such as wing trailing edges, landing gear well openings, etc., should be thinned as well.

Among my stash of incompleted models are the Airfix Saab Draken and C-47 conversion to XCG-17. I work on them (and many others) every once in a while and I agree that they bring back great memories.

Happy modeling,

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

thanks tom. i can thin the edges but the tranparencies may be beyond my skill right now. i may try a heat and mash canopy.

i think i meant an old kit builder?

Bill B has indeed built one or two or three. The first was a long time ago and was done in two-tone brown gloss over gloss grey. What did I know? The second one got a late war fighter scheme. Not bad but not accurate. The third one went to you along with the Matchbox version. As I recall it was done in Humbrol Dark Green and Black Green over RLM 65. I think the decals were from Micro/Superscale markings sheets. Just as Tom Y mentions down the thread the canopy halves are the worst feature of the kit. Now I have one of Arii's 1/144th kits to work on someday. Doing the canopy frames should be 'interesting'.

Bill Banaszak, MFE who is flattered to be a thread but a little worried about that 'old kit builder'. I assume you mean an old kit builder and not an old kit builder. ;)

Reply to
Mad-Modeller