Magnum/ASP engine failure

Today my ASP 80 RFS was flying along nicely for 10 minutes and then, as I backed off the throttle after a lowish pass, the engine went bang and came to a sudden stop. I immediately lowered the landing gear and managed a reasonable dead-stick landing. On the ground it's apparent something has let go in the engine, most likely the rod/crank pin.

I've yet to disassemble the motor to assess the damage but as I've never had this type of failure before I thought it worth asking around.

Have you ever heard of this occuring on Magnum/ASP four strokes? Can you suggest any reasonable causes...noting that the engine flew perfectly for the first 10minutes?

Regards

Reply to
The Raven

Without a tear down it is hard to say.

A more reasonable and likely explanation is a valve keeper let go and you dropped a valve into the engine. If that is the case, it may be cheaper to replace the engine than to try and repair/rebuild it.

I would think that a bad wrist pin (or rod) would be making some type of noise for awhile prior to it letting go.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

Try going to google groups and sezrching on "magnum". There's a ton of stuff there.

Here's the URL that appears upon searching, per above:

Have fun.

--- Joe

Reply to
Joe

I have had an ASP 120 break a rod in half in flight.

Reply to
Smee