Model Aviation Mag

Just looked at the new MA. With everyone so safety conscious, I was wondering why they show a picture of someone taching an engine with the tack barely an inch in front of a spinning prop. Don't know about the rest of you, but I always tach from behind the prop. Once saw a prop come off while taching in front. The tach did give its life to save the persons hand though. In this case, it would have been just as easy to take the pic with the tach behind the prop. Details. Details.

John VB

Reply to
jjvb

john:

MA has for a while been a good source of pictures of what to do, with text of why you should not do it. a really good example was last year when they had a picture of frank knoll's 40% carden edge in a low harrier, next thing you know, there is a rule prohibiting rudder touches. i wrote for the magazine for a year, and I have little doubt that I could have said that a good estimate of prop speed would be to put your hand into the prop arc and measure the speed at which you lost skin - and no one on the other side would have said a word.

PaulBK58

Shame on you for noticing! Don't you know the official philosophy is "Do as I say! Not as I do!" Sheesh! What do you expect? A good example?

Reply to
C.O.Jones

What!?!? You don't know that reading the rpms from behind the prop is inaccurate? ;-)

Reply to
Robert A. Plourde Jr.

Yea, you lose at LEAST 1000 RPMs by doing that! ;^)

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Not only that but the tach can't read in reverse.....what i do to overcome that is install the batteries backwards. Yep, works every time. Now where's that thread that wanted experts??? Mitch

Reply to
MEpst22487

Reply to
Abel Pranger

But, if you do that, you have to hold the tach upside down, then you lose the 1000 RPMs again! ;^)

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Well, I'm glad we finally got that one figured out. Or DID we..... ;^)

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Do you guys wear a hat when you fly to protect your head from the sun's radiation? :-)

The sun's rays when modulated through a prop can do funny things to your brain circuits.

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

I wear a screen mesh hat like the ones that Buddy Ryan wore when he was the coach of the Cardinals. I found that the mesh acted like a blocker much like the screen on the window of your microwave. It was perfectly modulated with my YS .91 on 40% nitro.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I used to have a hat. It was a nice red one with my club patch on it. Some old swamp rat down in Floriduh scammed me out of it. That was before that election Dubya won sort of, but that's a long OTstory. I'm more careful dealin' with them people now..

Abel

Reply to
Abel Pranger

Sorry about that! Was it either give it up or eat it?

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Take that chunk of trivia and go away. NOBODY wants to hear logical thinking!

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High