Smudging & running homemade decals ...is there a remedy?

Hi guys,

I've just completed my project and to finish off the look, I've decided to create my own decals. I'm using a inkjet printer and some sticker sheets to make the decals, and they look really good on the model, however I have a potential problem, they aren't fuel proof. I've done a couple of test stickers to see if they are fuel proof and they smudge quite rapidly. I thought of using a clear film to cover each decal (i.e. monokote...etc), but I'm unsure if this would work, or if such a product does exist.

Is there a clear coat spray paint that would work? Keep in mind that all surfaces are flexible and prone to expansion and contraction, and I worry that a sprayed or brushed coat would eventually peel/chip due to wear and tear.

Anyway, this is my dilemma. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks a bunch.

Dewey

Reply to
Dewey

[...]

Bill

On 7/28/2004 11:21 AM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

Clear coat with Ultracote clear or Lusterkote clear.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

I have used automotive-based, two part urethanes over the inkjet decals successfully. While more expensive than any rattle can on the market, it holds up to 80% nitro. Applied with an air brush, it can be applied very thin and still protect the graphic. Depending on the drying rate of the clear, the fast stuff (normally made for panel repair) will allow you to apply the graphic in an hour. If interested, ask your local auto-paint store.

Most importantly, invest in a good breathing mask and spray outside if possible. It's great stuff but take precautions to protect yourself.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Most of the polyurethanes are flexible enough for your purpose. Covering with clear Monokote is also an option but not as clean looking. I also thought about trying to print backwards on a piece of clear then placing the printed side towards the plane and adhering with thin CA.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I have found that a good quality automotive touchup gun is the most versatile. It can be adjusted down until you can barely see the paint being deposited, or up to the point you can clearcoat a plane in seconds!

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

"Paul McIntosh" wrote in message news:4108249c$0$68603$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net... Most of the polyurethanes are flexible enough for your purpose. Covering with clear Monokote is also an option but not as clean looking. I also thought about trying to print backwards on a piece of clear then placing the printed side towards the plane and adhering with thin CA.

Reply to
Morris Lee