Monokote Problem

Hi. I recently ordered a Spectra and two rolls of Monokote from Tower. In covering the tail feathers with transparent yellow, it seemed to take more heat than expected but did finally tighten with a few minor wrinkles that refused to come out. Then I covered the fuselage bottom with black. pulling it as tightly as possible and sealing the edges up onto the sides. I decided to shrink it with my heat gun before going on.

No matter how tightly you put in on initially, the first application of heat will cause it to relax and wrinkle slightly but as you continue to heat it will suddenly shrink .... at least that's what's supposed to happen. In the case of the black Monokote, it refused to shrink. In fact the more heat I applied the worse it got. Even heated to the point of melting there were still major wrinkles. Frustrated, I removed the black and picked up a roll from my LHS. No black but they had maroon which looked pretty good combined with yellow. This went on nicely and when heat gunned shrank easily, needing a lot less heat that the yellow transparent. All wrinkles came out easily.

I've been using Monokote for over 30 years and never had a problem like this. While I'm not a pro, my covering jobs generally come out looking reasonable. Have any of you experienced a similar problem with Monokote lately? Have they had a batch problem or changed supplier?

rct

Richard Trost

On 5/24/2004 11:36 AM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

In my experience, I have found the quality/QC of Monokote has deteriorated quite a bit in the last couple of years. It has ranged from poor adhesive to not shrinking, minimal shrinking or not shrinking evenly. You noticed the shrinking difference between the maroon and the black. I would bet the maroon was an "older" roll. The Monokote metallics are the worst of them. and the transparents, not much better.

In any case, I have switched to using Ultracote. I have not encountered ANY of these problems with the Ultracote, and now that they have the matching paint it is even better. You do need to be aware that Ultracote is a low temp film.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

Have used five rolls of red,yellow,maroon and they all worked well.Maybe the see thru stuff was trying to tell you how ugly it would be.Why do people use the see thru to begin with. It's certainly not scale and who wants to see balsa anyway.It's just down rite ugly on a plane (any plane). Venting.....LOL

Reply to
TX_QBALL

I used it on the glider because it's supposed to be a bit lighter. I had used red transparent years ago on an electric Mirage and had no problem with it shrinking; looked sort of cool in the air with the sun shining through. But, like you say, every little thing, including balsa grain and those pencil marks you forgot to remove shows through.

I could lay a piece of the black on iron set to 325 and it wouldn't even pucker, just got limp and draped over the edges. Very disappointing if TopFlite has become complacent and let their quality slide. rct

Reply to
Richard Trost

richard, please check out this thread from RCU about monokote, I refer you to Mr Baxter's post that you should return the bad rolls for replacements.

Peter

peter

No, but the last black I used was last year (September).

-- Mike Norton

Reply to
Mike Norton

In your opinion. I agree with the original poster, it's beautiful with the sun shining through it. As for scale, are you telling me a bright, shiny plastic covering IS scale? I think not. :) Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Aren't they owned by Great Planes now? Looking for ways to improve profit margins.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

I haven't done any covering lately, but I do know that there is a lot of variation in shrinking and handling between different colors. I have not used much black, but I don't think the black tightened up as well as the other opaques and it seemed to loosen up quicker.

I got an arf covered with ultracoat. I worked with it a little and didn't really care for it. Guess if I used it for a while it would be ok.

John VB

Reply to
jjvb

What is the clear material used for backing on Monokote?

Maybe it would be ok for very lightweight window material if there is some way to attach it.

Reply to
fredfighter1

I use it for protecting the wing when making a silicone seal for the wing saddle (or hatches, whatever I'm sealing). Same thing with epoxolite or epoxy/microballoons. I also use it to trace parts. Wrapping receivers and battery packs. Just about anything where you would use saran wrap.

Reply to
Don Hatten