Need Recommendations for ARF RC Model Airplane

----------

Each of us judges the world and others by our own experiences. I don't argue with folks. I just state my viewpoint and then move on.

I've been flying R/C and model airplanes in general for a long, long time. I have decades of experiences. Does that make me correct? Not at all. I've seen some real goof balls that had decades of experience and I've had to argue with them back when I was in club politics and either club president or on the board of directors. Their reasoning was often flawed, costing their student pilots money that truly did not need to be spent. Many times their suggestions for rules were absolutely ridiculous to most folks. But they had the right to be heard and their suggestions taken seriously. Others dismissed such folks out of hand. They never had their say, which I thought was wrong.

Ever run into folks that will only fly plain bearing engines? I have. Or folks that will not own a computer radio? I have. How about folks that will never buy anything that is new? If they could find a way to buy used fuel, they would!

It takes all kinds to make a world. I have always fought for folks to have the right to be different, as long as they were reasonably safe. I'm not putting anyone down now for their behavior of choice. I kind of visit different areas of interest and different modeling philosophies quite often. One side of me loves classic pattern. Another side of me is an ardent Telemaster fan. I even own a few helicopters and RTF electric models. I'm on a giant scale kick at the moment. Who knows what I'll be into next week? I don't.

The fact that you disagree with me is fine. I do appreciate you presenting your point of view, even when it disagrees with mine. We put the info, our opinions, out there for the readers to evaluate. That is as it should be.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

The reason I responded to this thread is that I'm expressing a point of view that doesn't get a lot of play for some reason. It seems that a disproportionate number of people on this group assume that everybody wants the fanciest gear on the market and that we will all end up there by choice some day. This is not true. Not only do I not have a computer radio, but in 20 years of flying models I have never wanted one. I have never built a plane with 6 channels. I've built several with 5, but not more than half a dozen or so. Sometimes the extra channel is flaps and sometimes it's a bomb door.

Some of us are just simple and don't like all the fancy electronic crap. The only reason I find that fact worth mentioning is that in spite of the "you'll want it later" advice seen here so frequently, most of the guys I've ever seen at the flying field were flying basic 4 channel sport planes and using basic 4 channel radios. Only about 20% have had computer radios of any kind, and this was at a very popular public field. Apparently the 2.4 GHz stuff is getting more popular now, but I've been out of the loop since I moved to the country a year ago...

I hate to come across as disagreeable, but I disagree with that statement. Until just a few years ago I never owned a ball bearing servo, and I enjoyed my planes just as much as the next guy. Now that I have a few of them I sometimes can tell the difference, but sometimes I can't. And I guarantee that I don't enjoy the cheap stuff less.

I don't want to argue, I'm just pointing out that it is a fallacy to assume that everybody else will follow the same path that you took. This is a very common fallacy, probably the most common in the human experience.

Tom, whatever you buy, may you learn to fly before you learn the fine art of crash repair.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

All good points but I don't believe electric is the way to go where i live where there is usually a breeze unless it's the dog days of August. A club is defintely the way to go for me.

Reply to
Tom

I agree. I'll check w/ my brother because I just realized he wants me to buy the same thing he's buying. \ To0m

Reply to
Tom

This thread is a wealth of knowledge for me, and I assume some others, I wondering what a computewr based raido is and why it's desirable?

Reply to
Tom

I wonder if my never used 25 or 30 year old K&B R/C .61 engine w/ muffler is still usable?

a four

Reply to
Tom

Good one Robert. In another life I had a Stunt airplane that was almost unrecognizable due to all of the repairs. I suspect I'll have to learn the latest repair techniques.

tom

Reply to
Tom

"Six_O'Clock_High" worry about someone else turning on a radio on your frequency while you

I've got an E-Flite LP5DSM 5 channel radio. Is it any good? Can I at least use it w/ a flight simulator? Are flight simulators picky when it comes to radios?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Great I'll try to get the motor mount out of the P47

Reply to
Tom

Thanks for clear explanation.

I'm adding up the expense of radio, servos, FS, plane, motor, etc. And frankly it's looking like used equipment from a club member or an ARF kit w/ the works. It may cost a few more bucks more but it'll save the hassle of putting everything together. I work with computers but gave up building them when I realized I can buy good one cheaper than I can build one w/o the hassle.

tom

Reply to
Tom

-----------

Regarding your last sentence - me too.

I buy refurbed computers from Tiger Direct. Yep, the technology is a couple of years old sometimes, but I'm just an ordinary end user. I don't need a super screaming state-of-the-art machine any longer, but I do like fast machines.

The thing about refurbs is you have to put it through a rigorous testing regime when you get it, because you only have a short while in which to exchange it. Nope, no returns for refund. I've paid as little as $250 for

2.8 GHz P4 processor equipped machines. Or $350 for a Pentium D dual channel 2.8 GHz machine. Or $260 each for several 3.06 GHz P4 machines. Why so many? I frequently give them to family and friends that need a computer.

I'd rather build models anyway.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

"Tom" wrote

-----------

Of course it is. I've been buying up just those engines on eBay for use in my classic pattern models. They run as sweet as ever and parts are available from MECOA.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Eletric CAN be as fast as glow or faster..but if you have a good club and link up with good people you feel comfortable with, go with whatever THEY are willing to help you get airborne with.

Round here, that would be electric; the same is not universally true however.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's a very usable engine. My brother in law had one about 15 years ago and it was really easy to handle.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

That's not a bad idea. If you crash two Avistars, sometimes you can build one good one from the remains! A friend of mine went through an Avistar phase a few years ago. He had bought about ten of them in various states of disrepair, and ended up with about 3 in flying (but very ugly) condition. It was a lot of fun.

You could do this with just about any plane, but it works better with a more common model.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

Sorry, I haven't a clue about that particular radio. The DSM on the end suggests that it might be part of the Hitec DSM line of 2.4 GHz radios. The only requirement I know of with flight simulators and radios is that the radio has to have a port, usually the trainer port, for the computer to plug into. However my knowledge on this part of the subject is not very thorough since I just changed brands and have not investigated all flight simulators.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

On Sat, 17 May 2008 23:22:58 GMT, "Tom" wrote in :

You never can tell in the abstract.

To test the waters, you might list it on Ebay with a prudent reserve. Or take it to a local RC auction. Or show it to folks in a local club and see if you can find a buyer.

Or build up your skills until you think you can handle it. I wouldn't make it your second plane. Maybe third or fourth.

I would also recommend all new servos for it. And get someone with some warbird experience to do the first flight for you.

Check your CG carefully.

Make sure you understand wing loading, tip stalls, and the downwind illusion very well before trying to fly it yourself.

FWIW, I have a checklist for preflighting a new plane:

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

the plane.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

It can't be used w/ a FS according to Horizon.

Reply to
Tom

everybodies post. An ARF kit is in my future.

Tom

Reply to
Tom