New design, looking for feedback...

Hello,

This design is for introducing children to construction and flying of rubber powered planes. I figure that its as simple as it can be to build yet it performs VERY WELL.

Its way easier to build than a Delta Dart and it flies better.

Here are its unique features:

1) In order to make it possible for younger builders, I've dropped the wire hook for the rear motor hanger. I'm using a toothpick. This actually works extremely well and serves as an anti thermal device because the elastic will eventually drop off it allowed to unwind fully.

2) Leading Edge Only (LEO) for the stabilizers. This simplifies construction drastically and forms a rear bumper. When the plane hits the wall or the dog and falls, the stabilisers don't break because the motor stick hits the floor.

3) I dropped dihedral and polyhedral in favour of winglets. This system is remarkably easy to assemble and is surprisingly robust because the tissue paper enforces it. A dab of hobby or white glue and the winglets can be glued while other work is in progress.

4) Build Onto Tissue (BOT). This speeds construction. I stole this idea from the famous AMA Cub design by Frank Ehling in 1967. I've gone a step further and simplified everything with right angles so that no printed plan is needed.

5) I've devised a order to assemble the parts that optimizes glue drying by doing the critical joints early. This allows a first time builder to get going in much less time than the AMA Cub. Its much less than 1/2 the time.

6) All the parts cut out of 3x36 balsa sheet evenly with no waste. All parts are straight so cutting is fast and easy. Workshop preparation is trivial.

7) It is very stable and looks very unusual when its flying because of the strange winglets. It has proven to be a show stopper with its flatter turns. If it ever lands upside down, it gallops on the floor like a jumping bean as the propeller unwinds.

Darcy

Reply to
Darcy

It most assuredly does.

#1 Do you have Adobe reader? If not you wont see anything as it's a PDF document...a 4.43 MB PDF document to be precise.

#2 It looks to be a neat model and even though I don't have anything at the moment to build it with...I'll probally give it a try for the son.

Reply to
Keith Schiffner

Reply to
The AirMan

Did you get the link to work?

Reply to
Darcy

nope...won't go anywhere for me....i have adobe 6.0.

tim

Reply to
CDN HoverNut

"CDN HoverNut" wrote in message news:p_CJd.1586$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com...

Worked for me...the original post that is. Oh and you might want to update to Adobe 7.0. HTH

Reply to
Keith Schiffner

I like the engineering and the look. I just might have to try it out.

Jim W

Reply to
Black Cloud

I just added a JPG format as well as PDF to the site so people can get it easier.

under the ABOUT section).

REMEMBER to RIGHT CLICK and download the file. You should be able to view it better that way.

In either case, there is a revision there now that has improved image quality.

Reply to
Darcy

So has anyone gotten one of these flying yet?

construction

Reply to
Darcy

Nope...I've OVER 124miles to the nearest place that MIGHT have balsa. the rest I can get...shoot I think I've prop here somewhere. ought to get some shelving someday...probably put off dying also.

I honestly like the design though...KISS the way it ought to be.

Reply to
Keith Schiffner