New Kinda Drill Bit

Or maybe an old one. At any rate, it cuts clean little holes in balsa wood, which is no mean trick (try it with a twist drill sometime). I did experience some break-through on the back side, but then I wasn't using the mandatory sacrificial backing board (what was I thinking!).

All you need to do is cut a sharp "V" groove in the end of an appropriate- sized bit of wire (I used an old bicycle spoke that happened to be just right to clear a #2 screw).

(view with fixed-width font)

//----------------------------- / / | \ \ //-----------------------------

Obviously it isn't going to be self-clearing like a Forstner bit or a twist drill, but it's OK in thin material, you can make it with a Dremel tool and a rectangular sharpening stone, and the price is right!

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Tim Wescott fired this volley in news:8vidnda-

3p5QnnvXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@web-ster.com:

An old one. It's a rough version of a "brad-point spur bit" used by woodworkers for exactly the properties you describe.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 15:24:58 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in :

Reminds me of a center bit. Dunno where I've got one or when I would have gotten it. It has a screw in the center and the cutting bits at the outside edges of the bit.

I'll have to look in my toolbox down at my family's camp. I must have gotten it for some chore down there once upon a time.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Also works good for putting holes in stuff like leather. I've turned them up on the lathe in all sorts of sizes.

Reply to
Nik Rim

Try making one that will clear a #2 screw! ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise