Adhesive for Saran Wrap orEquiv.??

Googled this question with no good reults. Application is attaching covering on balsa stick models. Can someone help? Thanks, Jim.

Reply to
JFL34

How about 3M's super 77 spray adhesive? I've used it to stick just about anything to anything, and if you're judicious when using it, it's pretty light weight stuff...

Cheers

Reply to
daytripper

I'm building a stick "Bostonain pup" right now and am building it on Saran wrap(pink color) and CA sticks it very well to the balsa, Ambriod does not. For your application CA might not work so well. mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

Elmer's glue is supposed to be heat sensitive after it's dried. _If_ it is, and if it doesn't take too high a temperature to activate it may work well.

Or look up the goo you're supposed to use with PolySpan -- I think it's "Balsa-Loc". It's a goo that looks & smells like Elmer's, and is _definitely_ heat activated. (works pretty good, too.)

Reply to
Tim Wescott

On my really light stuff (indoor rubber powered gliders), I use the 3M

  1. Spray it in the air and wave the frame through the mist to get a light coat. Then lay the model frame on the film that is draped over a temporary support frame. On my not-so-light planes (like small Comet models) I use glue stick. Both glue stick and 3M work very well. I've also used CA - lay the model on the Saran wrap (or Reynolds wrap or even PPP) and wick in the CA around the edges of the frame. The CA method can be a little messy depending upon your skill but it does a nice job of holding.

Richard

Reply to
rszanti

CA should hold fine, but it tends to out-gas like crazy over time, which will make clear film fog. If aesthetics are important, that could be an issue...

Cheers

Reply to
daytripper

MJKolodziej

Have you tried BalsaRite?

Geezer

Reply to
Geezer51

No, I have not tried Balsa Rite. Thanks, Jim

Reply to
JFL34

Daytripper -

Glad you brought that up ! I just finished a Big Pussycat and used CA on clear Reynolds Wrap. It looked great when I finished it but now a week later the film is looking bad. I didn't realize what was going on but I sure do now. Hopefully it will still fly as good as it originally looked, I find out next wed at our indoor get together.

Reply to
rszanti

Yeah, it's a bit of a bummer because the damned stuff works so well otherwise. I doubt it will actually change any flight or longevity characteristics, but it won't make winning any beauty contests easier ;-)

But don't feel too chagrinned - at least it was just plastic wrap. I learned that Big Lesson a few days after using CA to attach a crystal clear glider canopy :-(

Cheers

Reply to
daytripper

On indoor models we have used a glue stick like the kids use for school crafts. It seems to hold well enough.

Reply to
icerinkdad