Off Topic question

DO NOT BUY THE DTV CONVERTER BOX AT WALMART! I have two of them. They don't work with a squat. An article in our newspaper over the weekend says it is the absolute WORST converter box of all they tested. I WASTED my two govt. coupons on these crappy things.

Reply to
Jim

I forgot to add they are MAGNAVOX brand.

Reply to
Jim

Not to mention the inevitable spindlehooks.

Reply to
Jim

"Jim" wrote

I just picked up my two Insignia/Zenith boxes, two hours ago. I have to brew up an antenna, to get any meaningful stations, and am in deep fringe, for almost all of the networks.

I had to use my coupons today, and the expert reviews said they were on the top of the list, for performance.

Look around on the web, there are some great build-it-yourself antenna designs out there.

Reply to
Morgans

Well, I found a local antenna contractor (stumbled on his sign . . same one Winegard distributor recommended but didn't tell me which phone book to look for them in) who took one look at my antenna and said it was great and probably better than what he was selling. Guess who gets MY business!

It turns out the contractor that wired up the house needs to be shot for the quality of work he didn't do. The antenna guy did ONE thing and we went from 8 stations to 18 stations with the best picture we have ever seen on several of the lower channels. He will return in the AM to add a preamp to the antenna and 'fix' the wiring mess.

Thanks for all the pointers and suggestions.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

"Six_O'Clock_High" >> says it is the absolute WORST converter box of all they tested. I WASTED

Hurray for you. I'm glad you have found a solution.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger