Online vendor recommendations?

Who are some of the best online vendors or R/C airplanes and supplies? I'm thinking about getting myself a nice little trainer and just wanted to see who everybody here recommends? It seems that in every hobby or sport there are a handful of really good online sources. I'm just wondering about R/C airplanes?

Cheers, Mark

Reply to
Mark

Depends what you're looking for. Tower Hobbies has one of the best web sites, great customer service, and when you learn to work the discount codes, some great prices. However, they don't stock everything. Hobby People has some good specials, an ok web site, and people seem happy with them. Horizon is another site with lots of stuff. And then there's a bunch of other sites such as Quantum, Hobby Barn, etc. These are just the ones that came to mind, I'm sure others will add to the list. Of course all of these are US based. If you're located somewhere else, someone else is going to have to answer.

Reply to
C G

Thanks! I think I'm just looking for a trainer? Not even sure what brand or specs, but I've been starting to hang out at the local R/C club and the people there are very helpful. I just know that I have a lot more to learn before I can go shopping without getting myself into trouble. I'm in the US - I hadn't even thought to mention that :-) I just know that with some of my other interests, among the people who have similar interests, there are usually several BIG vendors and then lots of smaller stores that carry more unique sorts of things. I guess I'm just trying to find some of the BIG players and then I can do some price shopping.

Thanks! Mark

Reply to
Mark

Tower is one of the biggest players. One other thing I forgot to mention,

There's a very active beginners forum there. Many people with similar questions. You'll find much of the info you need to get started just by searching.

Reply to
C G

Mark -

I'm in the same situation as you. Don't forget the locals - some of them probably have trainers they have outgrown and would like to sell for

40-50% of new prices.

Mark wrote:

-LeeH

Reply to
Lee Hopper

Welcome to the insanity......I mean hobby.

I highly suggest going to RC Universe

They have excellent forums covering a multitude of subjects from beginners to advanced with some "esoteric" stuff like making your own molds and using caron fiber thrown in. You will find quite a bit of very useful and helpful information there.

As for online vendors, check this list out.

should be able to find something that appeals to you in there.

If you have questions (and you probably will ) ASK THEM BEFORE BUYING ANYTHING. You may find out that what you want is not as good as you thought or there may be an alternative that is better and cheaper.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

Another place you can look is

It's a bit more oriented to electric flight than RC Universe, but still nice. What are you looking for? Google this group for "best trainer" and you'll get a bazillion suggestions!

Morris

Reply to
Morris Lee

Try Dymond hobbies in San Diego.

They deal in mostly aircraft, no cars and mostly electric. The cool thing is they sell a lot of european models that 90 percent of the places like Tower and Hobby People won't stock. A german couple own it and they know their stuff. He can get you set up for what ever you need or want. It's nice to find a place that can get you flying without all the guess work of what engine, radio and kit to buy.

Good luck.

Reply to
Don