BP 3D Cap 232 .46 ARF ?

Is the BP 3D Cap 232 .46 a sutable3 plane for a beginner to start with?

I know its not ideal but how much harder would it be to learn with than a plane intended to be a trainer?

Reply to
Charles P Lamb

Charles,

Powered with the recommended engine, this will be a hot airplane that I would never want to see a new flyer try as his first effort.

It's common for a newbie to want to start out with a fancy aerobatic or scale ship and forego the trainer stage... Resist the temptation and start with a stable high-wing trainer. And ALWAYS get an instructor.

This can make the difference between getting into a hobby you'll enjoy for many years, or having a bitter experience from destroying your model on trhe first trip out...

Bill

Reply to
Bill Fulmer

Your odds of learning with that airplane would be very slim. If you had a very good friend skilled at RC flying who had a LOT of patience and a buddy box, I suppose it could be done. I believe the safest, easiest, fastest and cheapest way to learn to fly R/C is to find an instructor at a club a buy a trainer he recommends. Really.

I taught myself to fly and went through two Tower Trainer 40s, a Zagi and a SPAD (each of which were repaired many times; the Zagi and SPAD are still flying). If I knew then what I knew now, I would have showed up a club and asked about joining and learning to fly. Now knowing about frequency control, I could have "shot down" R/C flyers in my area, possibly causing an injury. Luckily, I live in a rural area and the risk was minimized.

I hope you decide to go through with it... it's a blast!

Good luck, desmobob

Reply to
Robert Scott

I would take the advice of the other posters.... I purchased an AT6 Texan for my first plane and needless to say it didnt last long in the air. Taking the High Wing trainer route will save you alot of heartache in the end.

It was only a couple of months flying the trainer and I was ready to fly just about anything. My arsenal after 6months in the hobby consists of....

CmPro Lancair Phoenix Models Sukhoi Seagull Edge 540 Another Seagull Texan ;-) Align T-Rex Helicopter (still trying to get my head around this one!)

I would have crashed the lot if I hadnt started with a trainer first.

I have seen a couple of Cap232's at the field recently that were a real handful.

Troy.

Reply to
Troy

That's a particularly good point about the Cap being a handful. If you set your sights beyond trainers, the sport planes that catch your eye fall into a wide spectrum of required skill levels that you don't understand yet. Watch out for tapered wings with symmetrical airfoils. If you haven't honed your reflexes yet on something more forgiving you'll find yourself in a high speed tip stalling nightmare before you know it. I've been flying for over 15 years and I still don't care for the flying characteristics of these planes.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

Start with a good trainer. The Cap shown in the link is really a typical fun fly airplane , by no means a scale Cap and doesn't fly like one. It is a very easy airplane to fly but certainly not a trainer. Would be a good second plane however after you've mastered a trainer.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Day