Propeller Hits

| A friend was chopped up pretty badly not to long ago. He had the | nerves and tendons severed in his arm and is now handicapped after | two major operations.

Do you feel that this is the AMA's fault somehow?

| The AMA has known for years about the frequency of this happening | (propeller claims are the largest segement of their insurance | claims), yet they seem to ignore the facts. Any comments??

Comment? I've heard that the largest segment of their insurance claims don't even involve models directly, but instead things like people slipping at a club field. (Which makes some sense, because that aspect of the insurance is primary, where the rest is secondary, shielding the AMA from many claims.)

And even if what you claim is true (that propeller/meat collisions make up the largest part of their claims), what makes you think they're ignoring it? What would you like them to do about it?

Would you like a new AMA rule that says `do not put your hand into the path of your prop?'

Reply to
Doug McLaren

What? You mean that you want AMA to protect us from ourselves.... As in requiring metal screen prop guards to that we can't hurt ourselves..

Why not give OSHA a call while you're at it.

When are we going to accept responsibility for our own actions?

baller> A friend was chopped up pretty badly not to long ago. He had the nerves and

insurance

Reply to
Double Ace

A friend was chopped up pretty badly not to long ago. He had the nerves and tendons severed in his arm and is now handicapped after two major operations. The AMA has known for years about the frequency of this happening (propeller claims are the largest segement of their insurance claims), yet they seem to ignore the facts. Any comments??

Reply to
ballerino

Yes GO AWAY TROLL !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Bob Cowell

Paint the tips of your props with bright colors. And think whe

starting your engine or motor. Pay attention

-- mode

----------------------------------------------------------------------- mode1's Profile:

this thread:

mode1

If your club has dangerous people, then YOUR CLUB should deal with them. The AMA does not run your club, YOU DO!

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

What makes you say they ignore the facts. What would you have them do, come out and handle all the aircraft for you???

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Perhaps you were labled as a troll because you are blaming the problem on the AMA. What can they do to fix it? Safety belongs to the individual and the club.

I'm probably over simplifying things by saying there are two kinds of people WRT safety, those who don't know, and those who don't care. The club can help with both of these types. They can teach proper safety to the ones who don't know. The ones who show over time that they don't care (and after documented warnings) should be banned. Simple solution, but not one that the AMA can implement.

Wait, I have another solution, and one the AMA can implement. Ban all prop driven planes!!! Only permit jets, ducted fans, and gliders. This will eliminate those risky finger eating props. :-)

Reply to
C G

No, I take responsibility for my own actions and expect others to do the same. I don't want "big brother" to save me from myself

You DO remember the concept of personal responsibility don't you??

just because you have idiots in your club, it does NOT automatically become the responsibility of some remote "authority" if you have a LOCAL problem, DEAL WITH IT ON THE LOCAL LEVEL

Reply to
Bob Cowell

Reply to
ballerino

"ballerino"

SNIP

Stinky bait that's what I think...anyone that is running a motor large enough to do the kind of damage that you CLAIM happened knows better than to be in front of the prop or beside the plain of the prop. Life is hard, it's harder if your stupid. M. Morrison.

I've been stupid...because I IGNORED the basic rules of working around propellers. Tendon and nerve damage that couldn't be repaired? Not likely...possible but not likely. I've put a 10-6 Zinger Rock Maple turning approximately

1,200-2,000rpm half way through my hand between the 4th and 5th metacarpals. A slice than went from the tip of the little finger then between the 4th and 5th metacarpals for about 3" or so. There were exposed tendons, nerves and muscles...that hand works just fine now thankyou very damned much. Why? Luck and because I took charge of my own occupational therapy and WORKED the hell out of that hand.

So, unless you're "Friend" almost lost an arm I'll have to call your entire story BULL SHIT and lies.

Reply to
Keith Schiffner

Yep, there are far too many people who say they know their rights but are unwilling to learn or acknowledge their responsibilities.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

Stickman-

Isn't it obvious? AMA should outlaw propellers. Avoiding liability exposure is priority one for AMA, so this should be a natural. Next they should tackle the problem of the sticks used for catapult launch gliders. Those things can put an eye out.

Abel

Reply to
Abel Pranger

Again, I ask, what do you expect the AMA to do?

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

He won't answer that.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Reply to
ballerino

Reply to
fatnat

Yeah: surprisingly enough, you won't find "STICK YOUR ARM INTO THE SPINNING PROP ARC" in any AMA procedure. Or pretty much anywhere.

So, if allowing prop and appendage to meet is not actually part of any legitimate proceedings in this hobby, the only possible conclusion remains:

Your friend effed up.

He - and you - should get over it, and try not to eff up again...

Reply to
daytripper

fatnat wrote: ...absolutely nothing worth quoting...

PLONK

Reply to
C G

Using your logic, one might ask why you are ignoring this problem.

Reply to
Ed Smega