Propeller Hits

Reply to
STICKMAN

I am pretty sure I have seen prop danger warnings in more than a few places in the AMA literature I have seen. And in the instructions of every kit, ARF, engine, flight box, the props themselves, etc. Sorry to hear about your friend but I dont see how the AMA is to blame.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Once again, how is this the fault of the AMA? And the dangerous flyer comment, did a club member attack your friend with a throttled up plane? Did a club member fling your buddy (scapegoat) at a running plane? In all the cases of prop cuts I have heard of, the guy that got chopped stuck the digit or extremity into his own prop or the prop of whoever he was helping. Once again, not the AMA's fault. If ya wanna fish for AMA bashes at least come up with something legitimate. My last word on the subject, welcome to the killfile.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Why do you call him a friend when you allowed this to happen? Is he going to sue you for letting him do this?

Reply to
Steve Banks

I hope this guy doesn't own a blender or an ice crusher.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

One walked by me as I was sitting at a table with my camera.

Dean S. Lautermilch®²ºº³

Reply to
Brad

Seriously, I hope all turned out well, no loss of function, etc.

I only got hit one time bad enough that I sought medical help. It was totally my fault and the engine was idling! Let me tell you, that HP .49VT produces a LOT of torque. Couple that with an APC meat slicer and you have the makings for a severe injury. I removed the tips of my left forefinger and my left thumb with that mistake. I was attempting to adjust the low speed circuit on the carb. The one that is located in the rotating carb barrel. Need I say more?

To add insult to an obviously profusely bleeding injury, I entered the prop disk from behind.

If you have an engine test stand mounted to a do-it-yourself sawhorse, please add braces to that thing so that it cannot move back and forth. I should have known better.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Because Bob, this hobby brings with it certain risks. However, the hobby has become so "easy" if you will that any idiot can get involved now. Many of these idiots tend to think that meat cleaver spinning at 10,000 rpm of better is going to sit there and wait for the idiot to get ready to fly. Imagine their surprise when it doesn't!

Now not everyone who gets chopped up is an idiot. But I'd venture to say every one of them did something stupid or they wouldn't have been injured that way. Look around! Observe and learn the lessons presented and act accordingly. And you may just get out of this alive!

Reply to
Chuck Jones

Aw hell, just ban props :-) That's the standard big brother government solution.

Cheers -- Lyman

Reply to
Lyman Slack

| Aw hell, just ban props :-) That's the standard big brother government | solution.

Of course, I've been hit by more planes without props than I have planes with props. So banning props wouldn't be that effective, at least in my case.

And ducted fans do have props -- they're just hidden somewhat. Gliders don't have props, but I recall a few years back where a kid was killed by a hi-start or a winch at a contest -- it pulled an anchor out of the ground and sent it into the back of his head.

And even a hand launch glider could put an eye out ...

Can't we just ban trolls instead?

I'm still waiting for 1) some sort of proof that propeller claims are the largest segement of their insurance claims, 2) how the AMA is ignoring the facts, and 3) what he thinks the AMA should do about it.

I suspect I'll be waiting for a long time, however.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Naw! Big Brother will require air bags on all prop blades. The outer skin of the blades will be rubber. Like a balloon. With a proximity sensor so it never hits you before the balloon can inflate. You'll suddenly have what appears to be two or more.................. well let's just say there'll be more than one boob in close proximity to the engine! But at least two of them will knock you to safety and then proceed to beat the air at many RPMs!

Rumors will no doubt abound that this was suggested to the Gov through a channel that leads back to an AMA DVP, endorsed by the DB, passed by the EC, enforced by the AVP's and cheered by the LM's. Did we miss anyone?

Only redeeming feature is the frequent and unexpected operation while in flight. Makes for some humorous moments at the ol' flying field! :)

Advanced versions for wayward pylon racers are being tested as we speak! :)

It has also been suggested that this same sensor can be connected to the flight controls. The intent being the ability to autonomously redirect the model away from any obstructions. Thereby avoiding impact with trees, bushes, grass, bambi and whatever the tree huggers are into these days. However there has been the problem of the model exploding as it tries to escape the flock of birds it's suddenly found itself in.

Testing continues!

Reply to
Chuck Jones

Now that's a GREAT idea -- Lyman

Reply to
Lyman Slack

Brent leaned over my airplane and the propeller chopped off the cigarette in his mouth. Fox .19

Reply to
Tuffy

"Tuffy" SNIP

LOL

Was this when they were new...or recently. 8^) Lucky Strike or a manyly smoke like a Camel? To be fair that has to be the best object lesson (without getting hurt) to not lean over the prop that I've heard in a while. Or my favorite about paying attention to the prop while holding a plane with a running motor...right across the thigh of my corduroy jeans with a Tee Dee .049 and the old Top Flight prop. Didn't shred the pants BUT I sure knew I'd messed up...dang near made a mess also. 8^)

Reply to
Keith Schiffner

I apologize, but this is way too much!

I have been reading this thread for the past few minutes and have bee shocked. There were two posts by the person who started this thread both 2 days ago, and I understand him! He said something wrong, ok, maybe even a little silly, you know what! maybe he didn't even think it through before writing it, but does tha give any of you the right to step all over him!?! It took a day and about 10 posts till he started getting legitimat reactions!

I am really trying to understand this, is it me

-- centu

----------------------------------------------------------------------- centus's Profile:

this thread:

centus

"centus" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@rcgroups.com...

Posiblly but when people act stupid and whine most people step all over them.

It might be you. Not saying it is, as for me I felt that it was stupid and whiney. I've enough trouble dealing with the stupid things I do and as such do not have the time to put up with the stupidity of others. I'm tired of people NOT taking responsibility for their own actions and mistakes. What I read was a HUGE whine and sheeple response.

Reply to
Keith Schiffner

I don't understand him.

He seems to think that if the AMA had posted more warnings that propellors are dangerous, then his friend would not have been injured.

That doesn't make sense to me. I feel that I have been well and truly warned often enough that I shouldn't under any circumstances stick my hand into spinning propellors.

This is Usenet. He asked for comments by making his post. I guess someone should post a warning label daily that folks tend to play rough in newsgroups. That's what life is like here on the inner frontier.

Yes, I think it's you. Are you new to newsgroups? Have you never seen someone get flamed before? It happens.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

No, it's usenet.