Quiet engine

I recently posted message concerning the Sig 1/5 scale Cub and recieved a very good responce. Now I have another question. How can I find reasonably quiet running .25 engine for my 1/6 scale cub also by Sig. I have previously built the 1/6 size and powered it with 10 cell and a geared motor and an 12/8 prop. But this time I would try a .25 engine. Any ideas. Carl Anderson. Delta B.C. Can.

Reply to
carl anderson

On 5/14/2004 12:23 AM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

To minimize noise, use an efficient prop. APC is quieter and more efficient than MAS. The blade shape and width also affect the noise. I reduced the noise on my 46 FX by about 8db just by switching to an APC from a MAS. Also check after market mufflers. Many of the after market mufflers are a lot quieter than stock mufflers. Be aware though, that the quieter mufflers USUALLY rob power from the engine.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

Carl-

The K&B .28 Sportster is the quietest 2-stroke engine in the class. The OS .26 and Saito .30 4-strokes are both nice little engines, and swing larger props at lower rpm, which is key to keeping the noise down. For a Cub I would go with the 4-stroke just because the sound of it fits the character of the airplane so much better. Comes at a price though, about $100 US more than the K&B.

Abel

Reply to
Abel Pranger

Use electric. very easy size to find. Almost silent, and just as powerful.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I also recommend the K&B Sportster .28. Almost as quiet as electric. Lots of power, and more power to be had if you at a 12" exhaust extension tube (silicone rubber recommended). The engine is out of production but can be found on eBay.

Earle

Reply to
earle

We noise test all our models at our club. The OS LA series are very quiet, and adequately powerful for a Cub. The OS 40 LA is both small and light so it may be OK - although apparently oversize - in the Cub. Just turn a bigger prop with it.

Otherwise the latest Irvines are quiet but more powerful than the LA's.. My Irvine 36 turns an 11 x 7 APC well and the noise is 75 dbA at 7 metres - and it is a superb throttling engine.

C W

Reply to
C W