Re: Futaba TX

If ya see one, I'll fight ya for it! LOL! :-)

>Dr.1 Driver >"There's a Hun in the sun!"

If I see it, Gerald, you won't have the chance!

J.D. to e-mail, pull the post

Reply to
J.D.

Good point, Alan, but the first thing I do when I get one is open it up and replace the broken mix or rudder D/R switch (or usually both!). The next thing is cleaning all the pots, then hardwiring the battery pack with a J-connecter, and checking and cleaning the antenna connection. Then the antenna itself gets cleaned, and everything put back together and operation tested. I do the applicable steps above with _any_ used radio I buy, that I don't personally know the history of. (Like the 6XA that I got from a guy that dumb-thumbed his fourth flight. Got the radio and what was left of the plane for a song; it was flying the next weekend.)

J.D. to e-mail, pull the post

Reply to
J.D.

That certainly helps...

I got a gold box AM NIB from a guy last spring, made up a new battery pack with a J connector, cleaned everything (just in case) with a plastic compatible electronics cleaner, put an FM module in it, and went flying.

Never have figured out why those old gold boxes always had better range than any other radio I've ever had--or have.

BTW, no matter Futaba's saying otherwise, the newer TP-FM module _does_ work in the gold box. Secure it with double sided tape, range check it, and go fly. That said, I've still got one TF-FM module I'd like to get repaired, if anyone knows someone that can do it.

J.D. to e-mail, pull the post

Reply to
J.D.