Re: Old Cox Engine cleanup

> > My father just gave me a box of old Cox .049 engines that we flew with > > when I was a kid. I think they are 1970's vintage Babe Bees. Two > > with props turn over, but have fairly low compression. Two without > > props are sieved up. I suspect that the siezed engines just have fuel > > or oil gumming them up since he wouldn't have kept dead engines. > > These have been stored in a cigar box without any special care for > > probably about 20 years. (We moved on from 1/2A and flew .15-.35 > > before I moved out on my own and stopped flying.) > > > > What can I do to clean these up and get them running again? I've read > > old threads via google about heating in anti-freeze, but I'd rather > > not do that since I have small children around and live in an > > apartment. > > > > I've gotten the two sieved engines partially apart. I can get the > > cylinder off one, but the piston is blocking the ports on the other so > > that I can't get the wrench in securely. > > > > Would soaking in isopropyl alcohol do any good? How about acetone? > > I'd probably want to leave acetone as a last resort since it also has > > a fume problem. > > > > > Buy a jug of fuel, put some in an old pickle jar, and add the engines. > Make sure they are submerged. Leave them for a week or two, then take > them apart. When you put them back together use after run oil from the > hobby store to lubricate and rust-proof them. You will also want to be > careful with your tank-to-crankcase gasket. If this gets torn you will > have to get a new one or the engine won't run.
Reply to
Arne Reil

There's an article on doing this in the most recent RCM.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

I use lacquer thinner or just plain acetone. A good soak in a coffee can loosens them right up. However, the plastic parts on some of the engines are affected, so old fuel-line and other plastic parts might best be removed before soaking.

Jim - AMA 501383

Brian Reynolds wrote: > My father just gave me a box of old Cox .049 engines that we flew > with when I was a kid. I think they are 1970's vintage Babe Bees. > Two with props turn over, but have fairly low compression. Two > without props are sieved up. I suspect that the siezed engines just > have fuel or oil gumming them up since he wouldn't have kept dead > engines. These have been stored in a cigar box without any special > care for probably about 20 years. (We moved on from 1/2A and flew > .15-.35 before I moved out on my own and stopped flying.) >

Reply to
James D Jones