Re: Servo Extension Fix

One of the four servos in my wing seems to have a mind of it's own. It is

> the right aileron servo and it is a standard size two ball bearing servo. > If I give it input (stick movement) mostly to the endpoint and release it > will move in the correct direction, but it appears further than my > programmed endpoint. Perhaps to my high rate, maybe further even though > I'm on low rates. I have swapped ports on the receiver, as well as > disconnecting various combinations of flaps or ailerons and also > substituted another receiver. I connected all 7 servos on the plane and > the result is the same servo having a problem. > Someone at the field mentioned I may have a dirty "pot" and it needs to be > cleaned. Does anyone agree? > If that might be correct, I know not to use just any cleaner solvent and > there is specific cleaner solvents for servos. Is there any reasonable > substitute maybe found around a house or shop? > Do you think I just need to give it up and replace the servo? > TIA > Howard

Thanks again to all who responded. I'm sure all of your suggestions are valid and from experience. But, I finally figured out the problem and although not mentioned by anyone, it was related to some responses. I did buy a new servo and hooked it up to the receiver before removing the old one. It still had the same problem. Well, then I was sure it was receiver or radio. The radio (JR 9303) didn't cause any problems with other planes so I now connected a new receiver. I used another battery when plugging all to this receiver. Still, the same problem, sometimes. I finally realized that with the battery plugged directly in to the receiver it worked fine. But, the times I plugged this battery to the on-off switch in the plane, same problem. Simple deduction: bad switch. Actually, wasn't that simple after connecting and reconnecting things over and over again. I thought I'd share the results should it ever happan to someone else. Howard

Reply to
howard

ah, of course! Good job. mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

Why would a bad switch only affect one servo??

Reply to
Ed Smega

I wish I could answer that. Flew the plane today, less the bad switch, no problem. I'm satisfied! Howard

Reply to
howard

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 21:30:39 -0500, "howard" wrote in :

Well done!

"One observation is worth 10,000 expert opinions."

My club had a snow day. About eight or ten guys, five or six planes. Powder snow, blue skies, OK winds. Temps in the high 20s. Burgers, hot dogs, and roast beef sandwiches.

A great day. I'm satisfied, too.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

You guys got all the luck. Cold weather, a little snow to slide around in, no doubt some blustery winter winds. Man, we had a dull day on Saturday! Boring too. There wasn't more than 4 or

5 guys there. Temperature wouldn't go below 72 degrees, wind sock wasn't working (it just was stuck pointing at the ground) and with no contrast and nothing but blue in the sky it was at times some trying conditions here in Orlando!!!!! Some guys got all the luck! Howard

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Reply to
howard

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 12:44:27 -0500, "howard" wrote in :

They really weren't too bad.

Steady winds. Helped me get my wheels out of the snow (didn't have enough skis for a trike setup). All of my takeoffs were heart-stopping. The plane was badly out of trim, too (plastic pushrods shrink in the cold).

No problem. This is where powers greater than myself have placed me. For many years, we flew off a frozen lake plowed by the Parks Department for Winterfest.

It really is neat to fly off of ice.

When you've learned how to fly, of course. See the sad tale of The Flying Brick:

Aerial photos of the lake flying site:

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Brrrrrr! Buffalo???!!!! I've heard a few descriptive terms of that city every winter, but this isn't the place to share them!! Although I'm a transplanted New Yorker (NY City), I don't miss that white stuff and the associated temperatures. I've only been flying for about 10 years, I'm in Orlando for 29 years so I didn't have an opportunity to fly off any ice. I'm sure it's interesting and someday I'd like to try it. But, just for one day. Brrrr. BTW, nice website and pictures. Brutally honest. Enjoy the weather. Good day to stay inside and watch the race. I think I'll do that and suck up all the air conditioning so I don't get a sunburn today. LOL Howard Howard

Reply to
howard

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 14:31:01 -0500, "howard" wrote in :

You're probably thinking of the photogenic, memorable, and (really!) rare storms that have gotten us some national attention.

The folks in the New York State snow belt (~200" average) laugh at our pathetic winters (~96" average--unnaturally high because of Winter in a Week (~8' in 6 days).

Here's the photos from the weekend:

45 minutes to the green flag. Time to claim my place on the sofa (and get hold of the remote!).

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Hi, Marty. I just left your webpages. Nice.

As you have learned, Fun One's don't fly worth a hoot if they are heavy. I built mine in 1992 and still have it. It is all set to go except for an engine, which I just bought (OS.37SX) to replace the original O.S. .32F-H which powered it superbly (and it was light). I omitted the turtle deck and canopy from my Fun One. Made it lighter.

Your Big Bee tale nearly brought tears to my eyes. I love those goofy Clancy designed airplanes. I have the Lazy Bee big ARF (.40 powered) in my NIB inventory of ARFs. I've been planning on powering it with a Magnum .40 GP fitted with an RJL Diesel head. I have all of the gear. I just need to find some energy (that won't kill me).

Oh, what were you using to power your Big Bee?

Thanks for the nice webpages. Very entertaining. Almost made me want to get up and start building something. Almost...

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 16:24:15 -0500, "Ed Cregger" wrote in :

Thanks!

Sounds like a shrewd move.

It was my second plane.

My teacher warned me against going from the LT-40 to the Fun One.

I didn't listen.

Live and learn!

It was a Saito .91.

I'm a slow builder myself. Made a little progress on the wing for Mad Dog II in the last couple of weeks. Stalled again. :o(

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Glad you figured it out Howard. JR uses excellent switches but switches are extremely vulnerable in a high vibration environment. That's why I use shorting plugs in anything I care about. E.F.

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

************************* "Shorting plugs" Would you please describe that a litle bit more? I have seen suggestions of using a fuse as a "switch" ...but..??? thanks RichG >
Reply to
rich

Hi Rich, Use a Deans Ultra Plug. Mount the female where you would normally place your switch. Take the male part of the plug and "short" the solder terminals by connecting them with a short piece of wire ( I use 12 awg). Plug it in to complete the circuit just like a switch. I've seen it used by many IMAC troops. If the amperage is

Reply to
Ed Forsythe