The Birds!

Stepped out for a little flying around lunchtime today - took the Piper out to the park and was climbing to altitude to do some loops and rolls, when a bird (pretty sure it was a swallow) came over to check out the plane. No aggressive moves or anything, but he appeared to be keenly interested in this new neighbor.

After a little while, his buddy came to join him. Then another, and another. Again, no direct attacks, but they were all so curious to have a peek that they got really close. VERY close.

After a while, there was a flock of no less than twenty birds, in a TIGHT group around the plane. So tight, that I felt like I had to keep a straight and level course to avoid a mid-air!

Eventually, they all left at once, and then I could go on with my fly (at which I had an excellent time, thank you). No crashes today [big grin], just one rough landing and a lot of nice tooling around in the sky, a few loops, rolls and inverted flights.

Ahhhhhhh. I needed that! Dan.

Reply to
BykrDan

Maybe your model smells like bird seed :^) GY

Reply to
Gerry Yarrish

We have a number of Red Tailed hawks around our field. They pretty much ignore the planes and just concentrate on lowering the gopher population. (Really neat to watch them dive on an un-suspecting gopher) A couple of years ago, one of our guys was flying his glider, launched from a big trainer. There were two hawks in the area so he thought they probably knew where the good thermals were. He was right, but he made the mistake of getting above and behind them. Later it was explained to us that to a hawk, this is a sign of aggression. Next thing he knew, he had a rather upset hawk putting vent holes in the top of his glider. When he powered it up, they broke off and flew away. I would have had a hard time believing this, if I hadn't been standing there watching it happen.

Reply to
Me

This happens all the time to me with Barn Swallows. We guessed it was because the swallows think the plane is stirring up bugs. They follow the tractor when it's mowing the grass as well. But yeah it like a ball of birds flying around.

Reply to
Normen Strobel

Happened to us last week. Barn swallows flew "formation" with our Zagis. They stayed away from the glow planes, though. Maybe the high pitched sound the props make make 'em think there's bugs around.

Reply to
Morris Lee

I have flown slope combat with a swallow here in So Cal before. Was a hoot! He came out to combat me on 3 separate flights that day. No contest, I didnt have a chance.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

I think the birds are laughing at our toys.

Reply to
Normen Strobel

Or bird sex?

Reply to
Bill

Probably purple martins. They are fearless of anything in the air, and very territorial little punks. They can be seen chasing hawks, crows, and my models. "Don't disturb the birdies with your noisy models" is an ignorant statement. Even hawks are curious about models, and egrets have been known to follow them in formation.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins

I do a lot of float flying in the summer. We have a small rocky island out in the lake were seagulls nest. I found out quite a long time ago that I had better not fly over the island when they are sitting on eggs 'cause they will immediately come up and attack the 'plane. They actually dive bomb it and attempt to drive it off. As soon as I move off a respectable distance, they stop. Not really something I want to collide with in the air. Gord Schindler MAAC6694

Reply to
Gord Schindler

Hi Gord,

Not something you even want flying above your model either. :-)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins