Twin Otter RC?

I'm new to the RC hobby, and for my first plane, I kind of wanted to
make/buy a DHC Twin Otter. Anyone know of a company making these?
FYI, I wrote a book where a Twin Otter plays a role, so I sort of have
an attachment to these, and as long as I'm putting the money out, I
might as well get something I'm interested in, eh?
Thanks in advance.
Randy Farnsworth
Author of "A Stand Yet Taken"

Randy Farnsworth
On 5/18/2004 1:41 PM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:
The Twin Otter is a nice plane, but it is not for a beginner. It SHOULD make a nice 3rd plane though.
IMHO, the best way to go is find a club and get an instructor (the clubs provide instructors at no charge), see what the instructor suggests for a plane, engine, radio, etc. and learn to fly. Once you have mastered both high and low wing planes (and taildraggers), then get your Twin Otter. By then you will have a much better idea of what is involved and whether or not you want to go with glo or electric.
Reply to
Ted Campanelli
Hi Randy,
I've got an old set of plans that are waiting for me to clean off my workbench, I'll see if there's a manufacturer or artist's name on them anywhere.
Steve
Reply to
Steve Morley
I can understand your interest in the twin otter but I would not recommend it for a beginner. Any twin is a daunting project both from building and flying for most RC pilots. Consider finding a local club, buying a trainer and learning to fly on it first. In the meantime, get to work on the Otter and when you are ready to fly it you will be set to go. Gord Schindler MAAC6694
Reply to
Gord Schindler
Here is an interesting one:
-- Paul McIntosh
Reply to
Paul McIntosh
Sure nothing wrong with building your dream model airplane, but save yourself a lot of grief by flying trainer aircraft first. If you're interested in electric flyers, here are some suggestions:
One popular electric twin is the Multiplex TwinStar
Discussion Thread
Electric Twin Otter Plans
aeropal
Thanks for all the advice. I like the Twin Otter from RT Models, but I think ya'll are right, I need a training model first. I have a fairly good instructor in my brother-in-law, who's been in this hobby for a while. But he seems to wreck the planes more than fly them. Although, when it's not your plane, the wrecks are more exciting to watch than the flights, in a twisted sort of way :)
Randy Farnsworth Author of "A Stand Yet Taken"
Randy Farnsworth
Hi Randy,
I mfg. the Twin Otter and while an easy build it is better suited for someone who has several birds and over the learning curve of flying. Get a good trainer and instructor join a local club and have fun. I'd much rather see someone get started out right than picking the wrong bird to start on.
HTH's Mark
RT Models