VERY OT! Italian language help needed.

Hey guys.

This is very OT, but I need a bit of help, and I need it real quick! Do any of you, perchance, speak Italian. I mean real Italian, not guidebook/tourist Italian. The reason I ask is because I'm putting together a DVD slideshow of some photos I took of a local production of Gilbert & Sullivan's 'The Gondoliers', which, obviously, is set in Italy. For the final slide, I'm putting in 'The End', but I want it to be Italian (to kinda go with the flavour...) Yes, I've had a go at Babelfish, but I get the impression that the translations they supply may be out of context here.

What I want is the Italian version of 'The End', as it applies to movies, plays etc. Not mock-Italian, but the real deal. Anyone??

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Reply to
AussieRob

My research led me to believe it is Finé (pronouced Fin-ay) - similar to the French Fin.

Scott.

Reply to
scotty68

Nip out and get the video of "Allegro Non Troppo", I'm pretty sure that it 30s with some variant of "Finito". For that matter, _any_ Italian movie will end in the way you want to find out, just think of all that culture out there waiting for you!!

Pity you don't want French, c'est simplement "Fin".

Cheers, Gary B-)

Reply to
Gary R. Schmidt

Yeah, thanks guys... If I had time to race out and rent a movie, I would. Or I could wait until they show one on SBS TV. But for a start, everything's closed here. And I kinda need it ASAP. Thanks for the start anyway.

And I am SO glad I don't need it in French...

Rob

Reply to
AussieRob

the sub titled italian flix i've seen had fini at the end. icicle theif, etc.

first rent the bicycle thief, then the icicle thief. those 2 movies are killers, plus you get to see immediate post war italy in the first. holy benito, smeggy! them are great!

That rings a large bell - "Fini". Works in Latin too...

Cheers, Gary B-)

Reply to
Gary R. Schmidt

Just pulled out my DVD of the Bicycle Thief, and it ends with FINE (in these caps) without any accent. It would still be pronounced Fee-nay.

--- Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

Thank you gennelmenns. I'll run with the accented Fine, I think (looks more foreign...)

Rob

Reply to
AussieRob

Looks also *very* wrong because sliding the accent to the last vowel changes "fine" into a menaingless word to any Italian. A surname, perhaps, but no more. I.E. Would you ever like to see "The end" spelled "The hand", in English? ;-) At least, if you want to use the grammatical notation, like dictionaries do, pleas write "Fìne", because the accent is on the first vowel and, unlike French, Italian accents go where they are, and are omitted where they are obvious (to us, obviously).

Sorry for answering so late but I read this thread just now.

Reply to
Luca Beato