video of model rotary engine

A while back somebody posted a link to a video of a working model rotary engine. That was when I had my old computer. Anybody have that link handy?

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 14:22:31 -0600, Robert Reynolds wrote in :

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

in :

Thanks for the link. I have a new computer now, and DSL service, but my DSL has been down today and I'm using the dial-up. It looks like I'll have to wait again....

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

Further to "Model Rotary Flyer" provided by Marty, check out all the animated engines at

including Gnome Rotary, Wankel, Revolving Cylinder amongst others.

Regards Alan T. Alan's Hobby Model & RC FAQ Web Links

A.T.

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 08:13:02 -0500, DaveH wrote in :

The first time I saw a rotary engine was at the Curtis museum at the foot of Keuka lake.

I was sure that the curator had completely misunderstood the engine and given false information. "No one would spin the crankcase and leave the crankshaft bolted to the plane. It doesn't make any sense!"

I was wrong.

It did make sense in its day--power to weight ratio, cooling, simplicity, reliability, etc. Of course, during the war itself, many other engines came along that were far superior to the rotary engine. Its day passed quickly.

In the hands of a good pilot, the gyroscopic forces could help the plane to turn on a dime (in one direction, anyway). To become a good pilot, you had to keep the airplane from killing you during your student days. Many didn't make the transition.

They fly airplanes equipped with rotary engines at Old Rhinebeck. The sight and sound is unforgettable. Some of the early engines only had an on/off switch. You were at full throttle or deadstick. Pilots had to "blip" the kill switch to taxi and to land. The sound of that on/off cycle is utterly weird and unique. As the website explained, the Gnome

160 had magneto settings that reduced power without turning the engine off entirely.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Very interesting. The rotating mass of that engine must produce substantial gyorscopic forces. Dave

Reply to
DaveH

I have read elsewhere that the "throttle" switch was particularly dangerous because not only was the spinning engine lurching on and off, but unburned gasoline was also flying out of the exhaust ports at low power settings. A backfire could set the cowling on fire if the engine was kept at low power for too long. This problem wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, except that the planes in those days were covered with flammable nitrate dope.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 07:32:49 -0600, Robert Reynolds wrote in :

That sounds right. They didn't control the flow of gasoline to the engine, so it would keep pumping gas through the cylinders and out the exhaust port when the magneto was cut.

OUCH!

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ