What is the wood Cyparis better known as ?

Hi Chaps,

Question as title : I've bought some Cyparis from Phil's models and I tried to look it up in dictionary.com and also wikipedia but no joy :-(. Anyone know what other names this wood is called by and how exactly it's properties compare with balsa / spruce / basswood etc ?

Many thanks,

Reply to
Boo

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 13:40:17 +0000, Boo wrote in :

White cedar?

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Boo wrote in news:4qqdnRoe8vdc1kHYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@biscit.net:

White cedar (Bot.), an evergreen tree of North America (Thuja occidentalis), also the related Cupressus thyoides, or Cham[ae]cyparis sph[ae]roidea, a slender evergreen conifer which grows in the so-called cedar swamps of the Northern and Atlantic States. Both are much valued for their durable timber. In California the name is given to the Libocedrus decurrens, the timber of which is also useful, though often subject to dry rot. --Goodale. The white cedar of Demerara, Guiana, etc., is a lofty tree (Icica, or Bursera, altissima) whose fragrant wood is used for canoes and cabinetwork, as it is not attacked by insect.

Reply to
NotMe

Cyparis or Cypress wood??

Jarhead

Hi Boo, Is it possible that you *and* Phil are talking about Cypress? It's a wood commonly used in wood boatbuilding

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

Thanks all for the answers,

Reply to
Boo

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 01:44:19 +0000, Boo wrote in :

You're most welcome!

Let us know how things turn out. ;o)

Marty

Reply to