What size prop ?

Just got an OS 40 Max FP second hand and wondered what size prop would be best for it? Got no instruction etc with it. Currently fitted with an 11x7 to test it.

TIA

cheers, Len

Reply to
Len Cuff

That's a bit tough, try a 10x6 I run that on my sig kougar with an FP40 Ian

Reply to
Gerry Attric

That's way too much prop for that engine. Try a 10 x 4. When you ask what size prop you need, you should specify what type of plane/flying you'll be doing with it.

In general terms: GIVEN THE SAME RPM: A small diameter/high pitch prop will give more speed and less acelleration/pull. It's like high gear in a car. A large diameter/low pitch prop will give more acelleration/pull. and less speed. It's like low gear in a car. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Depends on the application :-( If you have noise sensitive site I would try either 10x7 or 11x6 and work from there. I run 11x6 props on my SC40s.

Reply to
ray fisher

We're gonna try it in a Weston Magnum just to see if it's got enough power to fly it at a reasonable speed.

cheers, Len

Reply to
Len Cuff

----- Original Message ----- From: "Len Cuff" Newsgroups: rec.models.rc.air Sent: Sunday, September 12, 2004 2:35 PM Subject: Re: What size prop ?

In that that case you need a screamer :-) start on 10x7 then if you can handle the noise 9x8

Reply to
ray fisher

Reply to
John Hollinshead
10x6 top flite wood

earl

Reply to
EWAJAF

Sad to reply to my own post but -- APART from the Weston engine (!) what would anyone suggest in the 40-46 range which would at least get this thing off the ground?

cheers, Len

Reply to
Len Cuff

Irvine mkIII .39 with a 9x6 APC prop. More power than most sport 40's and a lot lighter too.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Banner

Oops! Getting my Magnums and Cougars mixed up!

An Irvine .53 with pipe would suit the Magnum better.

Reply to
Eric Banner

Webra speed 50 mk

Reply to
Storm's Hamburgers

Had the offer of a Mk3 Irvine 40 and the guy reckons it'll tear round with it.

Any thoughts?

cheers, Len

Reply to
Len Cuff

size 9 boot and a drop kick?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
10X5 or 11X4. It is about the same power as a .32 ball bearing motor but lower RPMs. Don't expect much more than 11-12k..

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

GMS .47 will turn a 10X6 at around 14k. Pipe it and you will get over 15k.

Webra Speed 50 is lighter and more power still, but costs more.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

The FP ain't gonna cut it. I suggest a Webra Speed .50, Jett, or Nelson. Small diameter/high pitch prop.

Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

APC 12.25 x 3.75! GREAT prop on a .40!

Reply to
jeboba

That is a great prop if all you want to do is hover. You must not know what this plane is. It is a swept wing, high speed plane and the prop you suggest would be a great disappointment on it.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Not on the FP. It won't turn it. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver