2000, 2004 Express Tools and XP

I know AutoDesk won't support 2000 on XP, but why when I install 2000 with express tools and install 2004 with its express tools, 2000 will crash upon
launch? I reset the profile and it opens, but gives: "Menu load failed. File not found" .(mnu/mns/mnc). If I manually load the menu it will crash again. bg