Basic AutoCad Environment Question

Hi,

I have Acad R14 in work that over years have made environmental changes to , for example toolbar customizations, color defaults, etc.

I may be moving to another department, nobody but nobody uses Acad14 anymore, but it's perfect for my purposes.

I will have to leave behine the old PC it was on, and I will have to put it on a new machine.

Is there any file where user configuration defaults somebody might tweak in over years is stored and can be dropped in to a new install and bring you close (if not exactly) the same good old AutoCad you had in the old Department?

Thanks! Hammy

Reply to
Hambone

R14's so long ago that I can't really remember, but it was a good program. Your 'etc' potentially covers a lot of things so some things may get missed, but as I recall there's a bunch of files on your system all called acad.something. There should also be a 'Support' folder - I can't remember whether the acad files are in the support folder or not. Anyway, just copy these files and folders over to the same place(s) on the new machine, taking care to rename the files that are already there so that you don't lose them.

Sorry for being vague - but we're talking quite a few years here!

Reply to
strawberry

"strawberry" wrote

R14's so long ago that I can't really remember, but it was a good program. Your 'etc' potentially covers a lot of things so some things may get missed, but as I recall there's a bunch of files on your system all called acad.something. There should also be a 'Support' folder - I can't remember whether the acad files are in the support folder or not. Anyway, just copy these files and folders over to the same place(s) on the new machine, taking care to rename the files that are already there so that you don't lose them.

Sorry for being vague - but we're talking quite a few years here!

This should be OK if you are definitely installing R14 (and no other version) on the second PC. Three things I would add to this..

I think that R14 supports the use of menu profiles - look in Tools-Options-Profiles. If so you can write out (export) the profile to a .arg file and import this back into the new R14 environment.

A lot of aggro can be caused by incorrect entries in the support file search paths - make a not of all of these from Tools-Options-Files. Expand the + signs to see the locations.

Finally look at menu customisation on Google. From memory you may be best off installing R14 but not launching it. Before launch replace the menu files at least .mnu .mnc .mnl and .mns. This should bring all the menus in as your old setup. It may miss custom toolbars IIRC.

HTH

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster