Autocad2005 Lost files

I have been working on a drawing for some time and somehow, I have managed to lose it so that both the .dwg file and the .bak file are blank sheets. I had saved the .dwg file several times and I am sure that the loss of files occurred within one or two save backups. Does the save/backup process extend to several levels? Is it possible to delve into the computer to retrieve the files? Both the .dwg and .bak files are visible on the hard disk and I am not sure how I managed to wipe them. Thanks in anticipation, Ken Rock

Reply to
kenrock

This applies to R14, but I think later versions have something similar. The backup file is not the same thing as the autosave file.

Try a search for auto.sv$, or just *.sv$.

Assuming you have set the autosave to a reasonably short time, say 5 minutes/10 minutes, then most of your work will be there.

Change the .sv$ to .dwg and you should be able to open the file.

Brian.

Reply to
no-spam-for-hkjffekafphdkdoemehepegkppboihac

Hi Brian, Many thanks for the fast response. Unfortunately, I cannot find the .sv$ extension on the HDD. Does this mean I've lost it for ever? Regards, Ken Rock

Reply to
kenrock

Ken,

It should be there somewhere.

See (watch for any line wrap in this link):

The only difference between older versions and 'modern' ones seems to be the actual file name applied. The extension sv$ is the same.

Try typing SAVETIME on the command line and see what it tells you.

Brian.

Reply to
no-spam-for-hkjffekafphdkdoemehepegkppboihac

Ken, Search your HD for files with an extension of ac$, there may be quite a few depeneding on how long you have been using your install of AutoCAD. the extension ac$ is the file extension for the auto save setting. The file names of the auto save files may be different then what you name the drawing files. When you find the ac$ files rename the extension .dwg and you should be able to open the files to see what they are.

Daryl

Reply to
sakoguy

These instructions are for ver. 2005.

Click on "Tools" "Options" "Files" tab

Go down to "Automatic Save File", click on the + to open. The autosave location is listed.

Your files should be there. Good luck.

BTW - Even though my Autosave extension shows .ac$, all the files in the Autosave directory location are .bak files. Go figure!

Janice

kenrock wrote:

Reply to
Janice G

When I read about using the autosave file to fix Brian's problem, I'm not sure it would work for this reason:

  1. Brian opens drawing with tons of useful informatoin on it.
  2. Brian accidently deletes all the entities but one green line.
  3. Brian goes to get a cup of coffee and stops to chat with the cute secretary upstairs for around 15 minutes. Brians autosave interval is
10 min.
  1. Brian returns to his computer and saves and exits.
  2. Brian's sv$ file only has a red line it now, right?

Am I wrong? If yes, why?

Reply to
Ted

Make sure the file search software is set to find System and Hidden files .

Reply to
mike

Ted,

You are correct, however if he closes the drawing, but doesn't save changes he should still have the file with all data.

On the other hand using explorer go to the file, right click and select properties. It should provide a tab with previous versions. Selecting that will bring up previously saved file. Then select restore or copy.

Robin

Reply to
RD