autoCAD and linux

does anyone knows will autodesk release version of autoCAD compatibile with Linux?

When the warm spot below becomes cold.

with
I don't know the meaning of that phrase but I will consider as strong NO :)

Phrased in the more usual manor: "when hell freezes over". It's highly unlikely that Autodesk would expend the effort to gain such a small segment of the CAD community, specially considering their "you will do it my way and like it" attitude.

Autodesk use to have unix, apple and dos and eventually windows versions. All but windows were dropped many years ago because they represented a very small portion of their client base, and I assume they simple were not profitable areas. I seem to remember that apple had a larger share than unix at the time.
I honestly don't see them ever supporting unix/apple or any other operating system unless a significant percentage of desktop machines have it, and similar compeditors products are offered for other operating systems again (Such as microstation, which dropped support for all but windows several years back as well).
-Tim

segment
and
Yes, they'll go where the money goes. Now their working on forcing users to upgrade every year or else. The only benefit is keeping money flowing to AutoDesk. They'd attach a vacuum hose to your wallet if they only could. It is a Microsoft mentality and Microsoft users seem to put up with it. bg
I don't understand the constant comparisons between Autodesk and Microsoft. There simply is no similarity. Microsoft does *not* attempt to force anyone to upgrade on their schedule; Autodesk does. Microsoft provides a virtually continual string of updates, bug fixes, and running improvements to existing versions of its products; Autodesk does not. Microsoft lets users upgrade to the current versions of their products from just about *any* previous version; Autodesk does not. By and large, Microsoft's prices are very reasonable, considering the functionality their applications offer; Autodesk ... well, name *any* MS application that costs anything close to $3000. ___

It
Well said, Paul.

Its becoming a deciding factor on hiring new employee's at the current prices.
Tim Arheit wrote:

What was the laqst version that was Linux compatible or had a Linux version?
I still have my old version 9 & 10 Autocad for DOS. I remember having to use the dos memory extender. Probably still have it around here somewhere.
Even if I were to ge tit running I probably couldn't save Acad2002 files down to version 10 compatibility. What a load of crap.
If it weren't for Autocad the number of offices using Linux would definitely increase.
If i remember well, autodesk rewrote the whole autocad into C somewhere around release 13 to be able to support other OSses easyer. That's why release 13 was such a crap.
There also was a rumour around release 13 that microsoft pushed(blackmailed) autodesk to support only windows or they would 'create' their own cad programm. Don't know if it was true or just smalltalk.
So, if autocad is completely written in C, is it not just a matter of using the right compiler to create a version for windows / linux / mac ??
Jan

segment
and
Maybe up to R2004, but R2005 uses .net. That might be a problem.
Martin
JP wrote:

Right, .NET a new tool from Microsoft to tie it all up on Windows.
Jan

using
No but there is an IntelliCAD version being worked on.
Cadalot http://www.cadalot.co.uk

yes but intelliCAD is too slow comparing to autocad and it needs some improvments :(
wrote:

with