Bloated DWG Files...

ACAD 2008 Full...
I always purge my drawings of junk to keep them down in size... Have
been for years... But every now and then (for about a year now), I've
run across something a bit strange that I just can't figure out.
If I get a DWG file from anther company, first off, I notice it is
rather large for what it contains... I usually do a Purge All about 3
times to clean it up somewhat...
BUT, if I try to Cut and Paste anything from their drawing into mine,
three things happen...
First off... the Paste takes about a minute to do anything. I first
thought my PC locked up. But I once let it go and found out that things
eventually come back to life...
Then once I've done the Cut & Paste... my Drawing (when saved) suddenly
gets Obese... from say 700k to 4.5MB... for no reason. It obviously has
something to do with the Pasting of items from the other bloated drawing
(this will happen even if I paste in a small Line).
Lastly, if I delete the Pasted items and then try Purging, my drawing
remains FAT...
This drives me nutz as I can't figure out what is causing the bloating
(especially since I've done erased and purged).
The only solution that I've been able to do is to DXFout the info in my
files to R14LT. Purge the drawing and then Cut and Paste the DXF info
(as DWG) back into my purged drawing.
Anyone have any thoughts on this? There is Nothing in the Layers that
looks out of whack or anything... just Fat Files (and not DOS FAT - Grin).
Regards,
BruceF
Reply to
BruceF
Which Service Pack? (Help -> About -> Product Information). It should be at least "AutoCAD 2008 SP1".
If not then perhaps the dreaded "scalelist" is (at least partly) to blame. I think there's a fix on the Autodesk website. Otherwise, try associating this macro with a toolbar button and see if it helps at all:
^C^C-scalelistedit;r;y;e;
Reply to
strawberry
Ah... yes I do have SP1...
I'll check it out...
Okay... thanks...
BruceF
Reply to
BruceF
That seemed to work... but funny enough... The 'scalelistedit' command gave me an error... so I had to manually enter '-scalelistedit' to get it to work (no big deal).
Thanks!
BruceF
Reply to
BruceF
Try scalelistedit now. It'll work. The fact that it failed before is an indication that that was (at least partly) the problem. The reason I say 'partly' is because the discrepancy in file size seems too big for this to be the only factor - but your new filesize will give you more of a clue.
Reply to
strawberry
Aha! Again you are correct... ScaleListEdit command works fine (on a good drawing). I've been using ACAD for 20+ years and I program Lisp and Menus... you can still learn new tricks (:
Regards,
BruceF
Reply to
BruceF